A mask of my own face (brahms heelshire)

Musty wall man with broad shoulders and a hairy chest makes my brain go brrrr.

I was always a paranoid person, ever since I was a child. Yet, I never once changed my behaviour because of it. I felt eyes watching me, I never left the room. Instead, I stayed put and decided to deal with it. I never liked the idea of my paranoia controlling my life and forcing me to leave when I don't want to.

So I guess that leads me up to this point. Recently, I accepted a very strange job offer a few miles out from my home town. In a large house, two old-money rich people lived together, looking after their "son" who was but a toddler. That alone was strange to me.

The job they wanted me to do was babysit for their "son".

Yet, I was desperate for money so I accepted. It seemed easy enough. Although, when I arrived, everything felt off. My stomach dropped, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end and chills ran down my spine every other second. I felt eyes watch me and never break away.

My eyes darted around, looking for the source. But to no avail.

A few minutes later, I was greeted and briefed by the "mother". She led me into a room where the "father" knelt by a chair with its back turned to me. I assumed the "son" was sat on it.

Eyes.

I was honestly quite shocked when I saw that there was indeed no young boy but a porcelain doll. I wanted to act with confusion or disbelief but this seemed genuinely important to the pair. So, I knelt down to the doll and softly picked up its hand in my index finger and thumb before gently shaking it and introducing myself.

Strange.

The couple seemed desperate to get out after greetings and more briefings. I was given a list of rules to abide by and a quick hug from the "mother".

I'm sorry.

My eyebrow raised slightly. Nonetheless, I thought nothing of it as I held the boy, Brahms, in my arms and waved goodbye to the couple. Slowly, I went back into the house and gently shut the door behind me.

Eyes.

That feeling again. I felt sure the source was to my left so I snapped my head round. But still nothing. My eyes lingered for a second.

———————

A full week of this. I abide by the rules, all of them, without fail. I even added a few of my own so as to be extra careful in taking care of this porcelain doll. I know it was strange. It seemed strange to me but who was I to judge someone's coping mechanisms? It's basically the same as someone having a reborn.

However, I still felt my usual paranoia. I think it was starting to kick in now even more than ever. I felt like I was always being watched, yet there were no eyes. Be that as it may, I believed something to be watching me. I even began to converse with that person through Brahms.

Whenever I went for a shower, I would ask Brahms as polite as possible to not watch me when I was showering. Most of the time, he was good and I felt the eyes leave for a few moments.

———————

That brings us to now.

Eyes.