(Twenty Seven)

(Twenty Seven)

In some other universe I am okay. In the real world, back where everything is normal and expected, I'm hanging out with Joan, maybe my nice human boyfriend too, and we're some place nice talking about something natural. Back there I still know whether my mum hates me or not and my biggest worry is passing the first semester of university. Back in that real world, I am content and safe. Where I used to exist, I'm not crying hysterically as my non-human friends are sentenced to death.

For the first time since I met these people I want to take it all back. As I watch them all break down, as I watch the Light creatures cheer over their death sentence, I want everything to be easier and for me to have never met them. It's selfish, they'd still be here, but it'd be just so much easier if this all went away.

"Take them down to the quarters under the stadium," the light minister declares, waving a nonchalant hand. "Make sure to get all the keys." Guides in military uniforms swarm forward, grabbing all the accused. Some of the employees, all the ones I don't know, struggle against being dragged away but the others just go with it, walking alongside them. I wipe furiously at the tears in my eyes, trying to see through the haze. People around me are staring but I ignore them, getting up and sneakily following everyone out. I wait in the darkest corner of the corridor, watching them as they wait for the lift. Zane stands behind everyone and slowly, as if he can see me, his gaze floats up to where I'm standing.

The look on his face breaks my heart.

After they all go up in the lift, I follow. One woman with horns growing out of her head joins me in the lift, giving me a casual glance as we stand on opposite sides.

"Going to say goodbye?" she asks and I ignore her completely. I run through the doors, barely waiting for them to open, and scan the square for anyone. A Guide cop--pseudo-soldier, whatever they are--holds down a Hand to Hand employee, punching them over and over again with their fist. The employee, a tall guy with a horrifying face, isn't moving. He doesn't look alive anymore, if he ever did.

I was wondering how they were going to get even numbers.

A burst of adrenaline goes through me when I see Zane standing in the shadows of the square, talking heatedly with a Guide. I inch over, trying to stay inconspicuous.

"I'll give you the keys, I'll give you whatever the fuck you want just let me do this one thing," Zane begs of the Guide. The Guide looks him up and down, frowning.

"Why should I?"

"Chances are I'm going to die in there. I need to go see her, I need to say goodbye. Please, please just take me to her. I'll do anything you want. Think of what your gods would want."

"Don't speak of the Mother and the Father," the Guide hisses, jabbing a finger at Zane, but you can tell Zane has hit a soft spot. You can tell the Guide feels bad. "Where is she?"

I expect him to say Jackson Street, or back in the dome or somewhere where I am but instead he says, "the prison," and I realize he's not talking about me. The Guide sighs dramatically and grabs Zane by the arm, heaving him forward.

"You don't deserve my help at all," the Guide says gruffly and they both start towards one of the light doors. I follow them, not even considering anything else. The others are all gone but I have Zane in my sight and I won't let him leave it. I feel dizzy and sick and weak and tired but I won't lose him.

The prison is close by and I manage to stay just out of the Guide's sight. Every so often Zane turns and looks at wherever I'm hiding and I know he knows I'm here. Guides must not have heightened senses. Clearly not. The Minister has no sense at all.