III

PAUL FELT GUILTY THE rest of the day. he let out some of his anger by training with gurney. but all that was on his mind was ivy. yes , he didn't like her but he knows he shouldn't have said such an awful thing to her. she will be his wife after all.

he hadn't seen ivy the rest of the day and didn't try and look. he knew she was hurt , and so he decided to give her time.

he was peacefully sleeping , the sound of rain falling outside as he moved from his side to his stomach to his side again. but his peaceful sleep was ruined when images flashed in his mind. images of paul , crying and yelling; he was holding something in his arms. the conscious side of paul was too afraid to look down , but he did.

he understood why he was crying. when he looked down he saw ivy's unconscious dead body in his arms. blood splattered on her face , that's when paul began to look around. they were in arrakis , paul could feel the heat burn against his hair , the sand swallowing his body.

but that's when he woke up. he was sweating , and breathing hard. his vision was blurry and his head began to hurt from how fast he was got up. he got off his bed , quickly putting a shirt on as he walked out of his bedroom.

he couldn't tell if it was morning or still nighttime , it was dark outside and he could barley see. he made his way down the hall , feeling his heart race with every step he took until he reached ivy's room.

he opened the door , and let out a breath he had no idea he was holding. ivy was sleeping the blanket covering half of her body as she hugged the pillow.

paul's heart beat slowed down , he could finally breath. now he was even more scared of going to arrakis , first the dream with duncan and now ivy. what bad could arrakis have in store for them?

"paul." lady jessica whispered , trying not to wake up ivy.

paul turned around and saw his mother standing in the doorway. he quickly walked out ivy's room , not before giving her another glance to make sure she was okay.

"what are you doing in ivy's room so early?" she asked her son , who took avoided eye contact.

"nothing. i just wanted to make sure she was okay." paul said before looking his mother in the eyes.

lady jessica looked at her son , "paul , why do you hate ivy?" she asked.

paul looked at his mom confused , his mind racing to a bunch of things he could possibly say but nothing ever came out of his mouth. he just stared at his mother in silence.

"exactly ," lady jessica said—"paul , you have no reason to hate her. but you have gave her a reason to hate you."

paul got tense— "she has always hated me." he said causing his mother to shake her head.

"no she hasn't'." she said putting her hands on her son's shoulders , "she might've disliked you , but she never hated you." lady jessica said calmly.

"but she told me what you have said to her." lady jessica said , her mood changing—"that is not how me , or your father raised you. ivy is scared. her parents died , and she was taken away from her only other home in a span of a year. she knows no one here."

"she knows duncan." paul said , interrupting his mother who gave him a disapproving glance.

"one man who is rarely ever here." lady jessica quickly said which made paul go quiet. "be nice to her paul , i chose her for a reason." she said "now go get ready , we have someone waiting for us." she said nervously.

"is ivy coming with us?" paul asked , "yes. now go get ready." she said.

-

ivy was wide awake. her mind still stuck on what paul had told her , now she was certain she hated him. her stomach hurt , as if she had aten something bad , she didn't even want to look at paul or else she'd be engulfed in rage. but , she is still his fiancé and everywhere he went she had to be by his side.

she was wearing a dark black dress , similar to lady jessicas. she walked down the halls right next to lady jessica before being told to wait for paul. lady jessica continued walking , but she looked nervous.

ivy's thoughts were quickly rushed away as she heard footsteps grow closer to her. she could tell paul was coming , she turned the other way so she wouldn't have to face him. she fidgeted with the ring paul gave her and twisted it in between her index and middle finger.

"ivy" she felt her heart drop , all she wanted to do right now was turn around and yell at paul.

"we have to go lady jessica's waiting for us." ivy said quietly as she began walking , paul quickly grabbed ivy's wrist.

she turned around , giving paul a warning look to let go of her. but he didn't , all he wanted to do was talk to her and even apologize for what he had said.

"ivy— look , i didn't me-"

"but you did." ivy said taking her wrist out of paul's hold. she didn't even want to look at him , she just wanted to get the day over with and go back to her room. where she could do everything in peace , without worrying if she's doing the right thing.

paul felt his heart drop. now he knew he had messed up , what if his mother was right? paul had no real reason to hate ivy , it was just his thoughts of her. but now ivy definitely hates paul and he has no idea what he could do to change that.

"ivy im trying to apologize and you're not giving me a chance." paul said quickly , ivy stood still. her jaw was clenched and she didn't know if she should continue walking or listen to paul.

"i don't hate you , and i never should've said that. you just have to understand how i feel. i don't want to be married." paul explained , "i don't want you to hate me either. you were right , we're going to be married soon. we shouldn't hate each other." he tried to get ivy to sympathize with him. paul couldn't even tell if he was lying or being honest at this point.

ivy took a deep breath in , paul prepared himself to be yelled at by ivy.

"we'll it's too late for that now , isn't it?" she said "i hate you paul atreides." she turned to look him in the eyes , "i hope i die before i could ever marry you." she whispered , but paul heard and it made his heart shatter.