Chapter 2

It was the day after the presentation. Last night I fell asleep feeling like a weight had been lifted from my chest. And when I woke up I felt excited to go to work. My alarm went off on time and I changed into my work clothes. A simple cream-colored blouse and loose brown trousers. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door of my apartment.

At my open-concept cubicle, I tried to work at getting the simple tasks Jen asked me to do done

At my open-concept cubicle, I tried to work at getting the simple tasks Jen asked me to do done. But, I was highly distracted thinking about when I would start working with Mr. Johnson on my idea.

At lunchtime, I stayed at my desk eating the burrito bowl I got from the Chipotle on the building's main floor.

I looked up watching people pass by in the hallway next to me. I stared as a man in a sharp black suit split from the hallway and walked straight towards me.

"Miss Bartley?" He asked standing beside my desk.

"Yes. That's me." I said after swallowing a bite of rice and guacamole.

"Mr. Johnson would like to see you now." I didn't think he meant this soon.

"Um. Ok." I answered nervously.

"Follow me, miss."

I stood from my desk leaving my half-eaten lunch. It could wait. 

We walked down the hallway to the sleek glass elevator. We rode up to the penthouse where I'm guessing Mr. Johnson's office is situated. 

He knocked on the door. 

"Come in." His deep voice echoed through the door.

His office was gorgeous. It had floor-to-ceiling windows that showed a flawless view of the city. His office had furniture in a variety of deep browns. And a giant mahogany desk where he was seated. 

"Hi. Thank you, James." He said dismissing who I assume is one of his assistants.

"Please have a seat." He said motioning to the beige chair on my side of his desk.

"So. Sabrina me and my team had a chance to look over your idea some more and we love what we've heard. Would you mind my asking, what of the logistics and information have you gathered so far?"

"Right. So far the majority of what I have collected is the data involving how it should be run and I have made several charts indicating what I would need to add this new feature all of which you are welcome to look over."

"That sounds great. May I?"

"Of course. Just one second."

I pulled out my laptop and opened up the files. I then passed it to him and watched him look over it with the serious look he always had on his face. He was super intimidating.  

He spent a solid ten minutes looking over my files in detail. I stared at his deep brown eyes as they poured over my research before realizing that was probably weird.

Instead, I started focusing on other parts of him. His long jet black hair looked perfectly smooth and he has quite noticeable ears. Most of his features don't fit the natural beauty standard but there is something that just makes him so charming. 

God, what the fuck am I thinking right now? He's my boss. He's not even my boss, he's like my boss's boss's boss. 

"This looks great I will make sure to set up a team of some of the best developers that we have here. I'm sure they will be able to make excellent software for your idea." He chimed in interrupting me from my shit.

"Okay, that's amazing! Thank you." I replied with a polite tone.

He nodded slightly. I decided he was probably done speaking and I should leave. 

I stood up from his smooth leather chair and headed for the door. I reached for the door handle when- 

"Wait." 

I swiveled around a little too aggressively, to see that he had stood up from his desk and was approaching me. I waited as he walked all the way over to where I stood. I could see what he was wearing now. It was a dark gray suit that was tailored to him perfectly. It must have cost a fortune but it looked stunning.

He now stood directly in front of me, his height forcing me to look up at him to make eye contact. I could see his adam's apple bob up and then back down as he took a breath.

"we should probably exchange numbers. since we're going to be working together. Just in case."

"Right. Yeah okay. That makes sense." Oh god. Don't freak out. It's just a phone number. His number.

I pulled out my phone and copied it down while he wrote mine.

"I'll be in touch." He said and opened the door for me.

"Okay, thank you, Mr. Johnson." I said desperate now to leave the room.

"Oh. Please call me Adam." 

"Okay, thank you, Adam." I said practically leaping out the doorway.

___

As James escorted me back to my office space, which I probably didn't need him to, I couldn't help but think about what the h had just happened. 

Then I noticed I was blushing again. And not in a cute way. 

When I did get back to my cubicle, I finished off my burrito bowl and tried to get some more work done. 

But, all I could think about were those goddamn dimples when he smiled.

A/N: Sorry this took like a month to post! Hope you like it though!