⟶ 8 | CARDBOARD EYES

[WILLIAM]

SHE DOESN'T THINK I NOTICE, BUT I DO.

I've been trained to notice everything. Even things her own mind can't comprehend. She does little things after every interaction I have with her, and at first it was fine—people react how they react—but now it's just pissing me off.

When I argue with her, her hand unconsciously flitters up to her neck, where she starts to play with that horrid daisy necklace Percy Kent bought for her. Perhaps it's to remind her that she's got another man in her life, and that I'm not the only one who happens to be 'bothering her'. Maybe it's something different.

Either way, it's pissing me off, because Percy Kent is the reason why I have to stick around her for so long. I'd rather not be reminded of that.

"Wake up," I said, leaning over the sleeping girl.

She'd fallen asleep an hour ago, exhausted from nearly getting shot. I was hesitating on showing any sympathy, but I did anyway. Her fragile being wasn't like mine. I let her nap for a while, but other business was of more importance than self-wallowing.

"No," she mumbled into her pillow groggily.

I frowned. "We're getting you new clothes."

"Why can't we get the ones I already own?"

"It's not safe for you to go back to the hotel. I'm also not leaving you alone."

She yawned, slowly curling up from the mattress as she rubbed her eyes. Her hair was unruly and tangled, falling over her eyes like a bird's nest. Note to self: buy the girl a hairbrush. It's getting pathetic.

"I don't have any money for new clothes," she stated bluntly, blinking up at me. The bottoms of her lids were watering with tired tears, and I pursed my lips at the thought. I don't like it when she cries. It's bloody annoying.

I narrowed my eyes. "I know you don't."

"I'm not asking Percy for money, if that's what you're implying."

"You should know me better than that."

"I don't know you at all."

"Good," I said sharply. It was better that she was oblivious to my own traits, unlike how I was to hers. "My employers provide me with funds. I don't need your boyfriend's stolen money."

I bowed my head, waiting for her to retort to my insult. She tended to be defensive of Percy Kent. To my surprise, she only stood, blinking her eyes at me innocently. I noticed a small smile creep onto the corner of her lips.

"Okay," she said.

And that was it.

There was no bratty banter, or even the slightest sign of annoyance. Just 'Okay'. If I wasn't trained to expect all things unexpected, I might have been taken aback. In truth, I was. Slightly. It only came as a shock that the woman was able to be cooperative.

Then again, this wasn't cooperation, was it? I couldn't expect her to take a nap, and suddenly wake up like the perfect person. No. She wasn't playing along. She was blatantly playing me. Mocking me. Edging me on, because she thought it would be funny to pretend she didn't care about what insults I threw at her.

Fine. If that's how she's going to be, I don't care.

"Door. Now," I said sharply, cocking my head towards the exit, "if you want to get new clothes, you better be quick—"