I was Burned Alive

Maiz had never known love. Living in the only country he'd ever known, secluded from meeting too many people, he'd only ever gotten to know his close family. But there was no love.

When Maiz was a child developing into a man, he developed a condition in his throat which quickly affected the way his voice sounded. As a result, he stopped speaking with audible words in shame of his how frightening his own voice was.

This never bode well with his family, especially with his mother.  She was bothered by having to learn sign language to understand his words as he grew through his teenage years.  She rather he stop existing all together as his medical bills had began sending his family into a dysfunctional crisis and debt. Because of his condition, he spent a lot of time getting surgeries they couldn't afford and seeking medical treatment that seemed unattainable. And when his family couldn't push forward any longer, they gave up.

His parents thought of him like he was a monster who sucked away their money. His voice sounded terrifying but having him speak with his hands was a struggle. When he was eighteen, he was finally recognized as an independent adult in Russia. But he couldn't move out.

His mother, tired of having to care for all his needs and medical requirements, decided to do something no parent should ever even think of.

She attempted murder on her own son.

Sitting on a ridge that jut out from the walking mansion owned by Dr. Crane, Maiz sat alone on a cloudy night. He thought to himself about where his mind had gone over the years. His mother believed she'd successfully gotten rid of him but he was most definitely still alive.

And he was alone.

And before when anyone would ask him what had happened to his skin or why he hid his face, he would stay silent as to not frighten them with his voice. But now, he felt he had nothing to hide.

"I was burned alive."