Chapter 29

Will.

Will.

Will.

The only thought in Mike's mind as he biked through the muddy paths of the forest.

He knew where he was.

It was so obvious.

He stopped biking. He was about to enter an area in the forest, away from the path. There were trees everywhere, it was impossible to bike through that. So he took his bike by his hand and moved fast into the forest. It was still pouring badly, which concerned the black haired boy. It seemed like Mother Nature wasn't supporting him. Rain was never a good sign, wasn't it? Still, that didn't stop him from moving forward. Even though, he was cold, his socks were wet and his clothes were covered in splatters of mud with some lost leaves stuck in his curls. He'd probably get sick after this day but...

Nothing could stop him.

He was going to tell him.

Mike was finally about to do the one thing his heart had been screaming for in all those years. And he didn't care anymore. He didn't care they were both boys. He didn't care about what others would think.

He only cared about Will... and how losing him would be far worse.

Robin had made him realize that. He slowed down his pace, as the familiar, small open space in the woods was in sight. Somehow he always ended up at the place, without getting lost. He's been there so many times when he was younger that the location became general knowledge. He had some good memories from it. Why did he ever stop coming there, he wondered.  He shook his thoughts away as he reached his destination.

But something didn't add up. A loud thunder filled Mike's ears as his eyes registered the sight in front of him.

There was no castle Byers.

Not anymore.

Mike stood still in front of a big pile of broken, wood panels together with comics, blankets and ripped photographs. His eyes catched a photograph of the party winning the science contest, but it was ripped... Right in the middle... Where he and Will had happily stood next to each other.

The scene made Mike's heart ache.

This was Will's safe space.

And because of him, because of his stupid actions, it was gone. Dark thoughts of self-hate were about to creep up on him once again, but this time, he wouldn't let them get to him. He was here for a reason, that reason was all about Will. He wouldn't fail that reason, because of self-pity. Will was more important.

He looked around to see if he could find him. However, his surroundings were silent, trees moving in the rhythm of the strong wind, nature proceeding its life cycle. There was no sign of another human other than him being there.

Yet, he stayed. His stubborn self didn't let him go search somewhere else. Will had to be here, he had been here, so he couldn't be far. He decided to wait. He put his bike against a large tree and sat beside it. He was certain Will would return here, his heart was telling him that.

An hour went by. The sound of Mike's stomach rambling, notified him that it was past 6pm, maybe almost 7 pm as it was getting darker.

Come on Will, where are you?

The longer he stayed there waiting on him, the more Mike started debating whether he should try another day or not.

He decided to wait for another half hour... there in the blistering cold.

Footsteps that caused cracking twigs, snapped Mike out of his slumber. How long did he sleep?The sound came along with soft whimpering. So soft as if the person tried his best to keep it in.
He slowly emerged from behind the tree and approached the back of the person's figure, who was facing the pile, the one that had been Castle Byers.