Prelude : The Hunt

Not all wolves are in packs, not all wolves live in magnificent pack houses, mansions, or large cave complexes. This scene is the first I have done for a story in Wattpad. I would be rapt with suggestions or constructive criticisms.

Usual rules for stories. Please don't steal. It is great to be inspired by each other's work (and I acknowledge there are quite a few who have inspired me to write with the quality of their own works), but claiming someone else's writing, characters, and locations as your own is just wrong.

I dedicate this start to just some of those who have inspired me to write:

Addicted_Author

Guzmasboi

Meowth01

Seriously, I recommend their works.

Broken Wolf

Seen from above the forest would seem lush, and cool. This was deceptive, and it was actually stifling under the treetops. The late Summer air was hot, still, and dry like an oven but with withered leaves and broken branches scattered over shadowed patches of grass reduced to straw below the trees.

The quiet of the forest was broken with constant and repeated panting, and the slap of desperate feet.

Three sets. Occasionally one of the three fugitives grunted as they got too close to a branch or root one of the towering maples and pines they were pounding their way through. Each in their turn looked back in the direction from which they ran. Rivers of sweat were running down into their eyes. Eyes that were round with fear.

At first impression, each of the runners appeared to be acting alone, each only looking out for themselves. A second look showed this to be wrong. The front runner, slimmer and curved, was constantly helped and supported by the other two. Wavy fawn hair cascaded down her back.

The taller of the other two also had blonde hair. The smaller had slightly darker hair, more of a mocha colour except where sweat rendered it almost black. Unlike the two blondes their clothing was ratty, stained, and half shredded.

Other noises started to be heard.

A distant yell, "Over this way, they've left marks,...." morphed into a growl.

A howl straight behind the runners was followed by a darker roar some distance to their left. One of the runners started veering to their right, but was grabbed by the third. No words were spoken, but a gasp and simple shake of a head and a pointed finger kept them all going in the same direction. More howls, yips, and barks were starting to resound and echo through the trees, and occasional flashes of black, brown and yellow started to be glimpsed far back between the trees.

Finally, a cliff reared up in front of the runners. Rough shale, dark and layered left plenty of handholds and footholds. If only they had gotten here earlier, they might have been able to climb the cliff and avoid the pursuit.

The third runner, his dark sweaty curls dripping into his eyes, pushed his companions forward. "Look, there. Under the pine tree. It's a cave.", he gasped. "We won't all get in, but you two should be able to get far enough back to be safe. Grab some of these broken branches. No time to make a barrier, but you should at least be able to poke these bastards and I know they'll only be able to come at you in there one at a time."

The taller of the two blondes swore. "Damn it, what piece of idiocy are you going to try now. At least get in there with us. Three sticks would be better than two!"