11

"I finally got a chance to meet her," Karanomori swiveled in her chair with one leg over the other. "The last witness of the Specimen Case. She is a new inspector in Division 2. You should go see her. She asked about the case and the killer behind it."

"She asked about Touma Kouzaburou?" a deep, male voice echoed throughout the lab.

"You might not be the only one on his quest," a smile lit up her face, only for a moment.

Karanomori stubbed out her cigarette in the ashtray on her desk, and turned to the predatory gray eyes behind her. Sitting on the black couch, with a clenched fist on his thigh and one elbow resting on the backrest, Kougami smoked a cigarette and stared at the small table in front of him.

"I understand... wanting to take revenge. I can see it in your eyes. There is nothing wrong with a cop having fun in his work. I will not deny my own personal relief as soon as I heard of his death."

"You still believe she's guilty," Karanomori raised her eyebrows. "Don't tell me you keep investigating her. You've already seen her light blue hue..."

"But nothing can take the pain away. Eventually you will learn to live with it. There will be nightmares. Hallucinations. Until one day... you will wake up with a different priority."

Kougami narrowed his eyes dangerously, pushing the smoke out of his mouth and creating shapes in front of his face.

"This is... ritualistic. Impressive," Yashiro tilted her head to one side, moving her left hand forward.

With her long black coat falling to the ground, she examined the body in a crouched position. Spider-like drones surveyed the grass around her black derby shoes. The park was completely closed.

"He stopped. He went silent for a while. We thought he was dead," Aoyanagi folded her arms.

"Until today," Kozuki scratched his neck.

"The surgeon's motives were understandable yet so different from this one. His acts are so wretched that..." Yashiro's voice trailed off as she looked at the empty holes in the pale face. "Only if I tear out his eyes... if I place them in his open hands... will I come to understand the torrent of feeling that drives me. My purpose."

"We called it the Judge Case," Katashi explained as a holographic file popped up on his wrist. "All victims are serial killers, drug traffickers, rapists or pedophiles."

"The worst of the worst," Kozuki nodded.

"Maeda Kaito," Aoyanagi turned her wristcom on to check the victim's profile. "Fugitive for six months ago after murdering his wife and children."

"Too bad he caught him first," Kozuki let out a laugh, then coughed and looked away.

"He wanted society to find him like this," Yashiro slowly stood up. "He is humiliating him."

"This makes seventeen victims," Aoyanagi remarked.

"Not if you add Nakamura's name too," Daiki lifted his chin towards her, bangs falling over his face.

"You think she's not related to the surgeon's case?" Aoyanagi raised an eyebrow.

"Nakamura Ichika could have been a target for the surgeon but the stage was disturbing," Yashiro replied without looking at the young enforcer. "She was on his list, but the style was different."

"Moreover... she was pregnant," Daiki blurted out.

Yashiro blinked and looked down at him all of a sudden. He was crouched close to the man, watching the bloodshot brown eyes.