•~Ep5: The greatest gift~•

November 10, 2008

The substance I put to the research machine yesterday, now appeared to consist of a similar elements like Shadow's blood. However, the chaos energy present here is in small number, for it gets overpowered by the life essence. This discovery just made me truly, genuinely happy and relieved, because that means, that Maria could get a way better life! Just few hours ago, I finally finished any research with it, including the combination of it with the two blood samples. First, I tried to combine it with Maria's, then with Shadow's. And here is the amazing discovery: the substance cooperated perfectly with Shadow's blood cells and they somehow intertwined, creating a whole new substance, which when I tried to combine with Maria's blood afterwards, finally did not seem to be aggressive. Oh, also, I forgot to mention, that I had to take a new samples of their blood of course, in order to do the research properly. Maria was a bit irritated by that, she never liked needles and I don't blame her. Shadow, on the other hand, held still and just looked away from me, since he also does not like needles.

Anyways, Maria's desease blood cells have been successfully eliminated by this new blood type and the substance intertwined with the healthy cells afterwards with the chaos energy being almost completely suppressed by the life essence. As the result, my guess is, that Maria not only might get healed, but also gain a good amount of strength and immunity. However, like every scientist or doctor, even I am worried about a possible side effects, that could occur, if I am not careful enough. Well, all the beings out in the big space, wish me luck.....

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Two days later

"Maria?" the dark hedgehog came to Maria's room with curious expression, for he could hear a music quietly playing from a small reproductors on the table and Maria's voice singing along with it. She paused after hearing Shadow calling her name and turned her head to look at his curious, yet puzzled face. She was standing on a chair with her hands raised up, her fingers firmly holding a party chain, which she was trying to hang on the wall properly.
"Oh, Shadow! You surprised me," she giggled softly and returning her gaze to the stuff she tried to pin it to the wall. Shadow walked further to the room and looked around, opening his mouth slightly he let out a soft sound of awe.
"What is all this for?" he asked curiously while looking at the various decorations spread all around the room walls and furniture. He had in mind, that she did that only during Christmas time. Maria managed to successfully pin the party thing on the wall and climbed down from the chair before fully facing the hedgehog.
"It's for my birthday," she replied and ruffled the fur on his head softly.
"Why didn't you do something like this all the years before?" another question escaped the curious hedgehog's mouth, making Maria giggle and shrug.
"Well..today I turn eighteen and I have been told, that it is an important age, because I become an adult since now," she explained before coughing multiple times, with teary eyes she pointed at the glass of water on the table, Shadow reacted quickly and handed it to her while softly tracing shapes on her back. He felt bad for her, everytime she got this little coughing attack. Maria emptied the whole glass and handed it back to her friend, who placed it back on the table before facing Maria again. He took a breath to say something, but she was faster.
"So I decided to.. to celebrate it properly and exceptionally decorate my room for other reason than Christmas," she said to add an information to her previous statement, Shadow furrowed his eyebrows however, still not liking the state she was in. Maria giggled despite the pain she was in as she sat on the edge of her bed and rested her hands in her lap, trying to calm down.
"Did you know, that grandpa promised me a special gift? He called it 'the greatest gift ever'. I wonder what he could mean by that," she spoke again, when the room got filled only with the quiet music coming out of the speakers. Something clicked in Shadow's mind, his expression showed slightly, that he probably knew something she was not aware of.
"Shadow... do you think, that we will ever get down to the blue planet?" she asked slowly, the hedgehog got surprised by such a sudden question as he sighed and sat on the chair she was standing on moments ago.
"I don't know.. I hope we will," he replied and the room got filled with a tones of the ambient music again for a long minutes.
"I always wonder, what it looks like from down there. My grandpa told me many things about it," she confessed while smiling at the dark hedgehog, who was listening to her every single word carefully, his ears were perked up and it looked kinda cute.
"What did he tell you?" he asked with strong curiosity audible in his soothing voice as he started swinging his legs, that - due to the chair being too tall - did not reach the floor.
"For example... how people down there sometimes get into trouble, help each other or... on the other side hurt each other," she shook her head slowly while saying the last statement, for she hated violence. Shadow moved his head slightly to the left side and even his left ear bended down little bit.
"Hurt each other? Why?"
Maria shrugged.
"I don't know. When I asked grandpa exactly the same question, he said that... some people are... just that way and we cannot do anything about it," she replied sounding sad while looking down. Shadow sensed her mood change, so he hopped down of the chair and walked over to her, climbing up on the bed he wrapped his arms around her.
"Maria... if we get down there... maybe we could change that. Maybe we could become a great protectors of the weak, sick and ill and old or too young people," he said quietly, giving Maria a new hope and light. She giggled.
"Shadow... it was always me who had to give a light to you. Thank you," she started softly stroking the fur on Shadow's back, his quills were soft now, meaning that the hedgehog is relaxed. Shadow's lips spread into a soft smile as he looked up at her and leaning up to her face, he booped his nose over her cheek cutely. That made Maria giggle again and he obviously liked it, because his smile grew a bit wider.
"You know what?! Let's make cookies together!" Maria suddenly exclaimed with a gasp, unintentionally startling the hedgehog, who unwrapped his arms from her and backed away a bit, placing his hand on his small chest he breathed slightly faster. A sign of regret appeared on Maria's face as she covered her mouth while looking at her companion.
"Oopsie.. I am sorry, Shadow," she apologized instantly, making the hedgehog shaking his head and smiling again as he jumped down of the bed.
"No, it's okay. Let's go make the cookies," he agreed with her idea and started walking to the kitchen, Maria stood up and grabbing Shadow to hold him in her arms she ran to the kitchen.
"Aaah! Mari-aaaa!" Shadow laughed while whimpering in her arms, trying to adjust himself from the uncomfortable position he was in. The girl giggled and sat him on a kitchen counter, after finally arriving there. He shook his body a bit, sort of like a dog, to adjust his fur before paying full attention to Maria, who took out the needed ingredients for the cookies and started working on it. Shadow helped her a bit with mixing the ingredients together and form the dough to a small buns, which Maria spread around the pan. She then put it to oven and sat down on a chair, while Shadow stayed sitting on the kitchen counter.
"Shady..." she called the hedgehog's name suddenly, making him look at her curiously.
"I.. I feel really happy now," she smiled brightly at him. Shadow smiled back at her and nodded his head.
"Me too, Maria. Thank you... you're making my life much better and...with you, everything is bright," he confessed while looking down and feeling his cheeks warming up, while the shade of dark pink passed by them. Maria giggled softly, when she saw him.
"You are so cute," he heard her soft voice, that made him blush even darker.
"U-uh...thanks," he chuckled and hopped down of the counter, trying to chase his shyness away while rather watching the cookies being baked behind the small window of the oven.
"Ten more minutes and the cookies will be done," Maria informed him while standing up and walking over to the fridge to grab a two bottles of strawberry flavored milk and place them on the table.
"Want some milk?" she asked, the hedgehog turned away from the oven and walked over to the table to sit on a chair and grab one bottle.
"Of course! I love this," he smiled happily and opened the bottle to take a sip of the milk. Maria did the same.