CHAPTER 8

A few days later, they"re cuddling in Harry"s big bed. The sun just started setting and they"ve wasted almost all day watching romcoms on Louis" laptop, Harry cheering goofily in the most unbearably romantic parts, even tearing up once or twice at heartfelt speeches, trying to hide his blotchy face in Louis" shoulder, cheeks red with embarrassment.

"What"s like... the most romantic thing anyone"s done for you?" Harry asks randomly when the end credits to The Notebook are almost over. His voice is still a bit wobbly, a result of the amount of crying he"s been doing since Allie started remembering.

He"s still staring right at the laptop when he asks the question, his whole body resting on Louis", the long lean weight of him comfortable. They"re both leaning on the headboard, Louis propped up with multiple pillows and Harry propped up on Louis.

Louis, who was stroking down Harry"s arms comfortingly, stops moving.

"You don"t have to tell me," Harry says. "I was just curious."

"I don"t know actually," Louis replies honestly, trying to remember. Truth be told, he"s been alone for a long time. It"s a part of the lifestyle he chose after all, and beyond some one night stands once in a while when he"s on the mainland, Louis has been pretty celibate since he moved to Fair Isle. His latest boyfriend dates back to his university days and romantic gestures weren"t exactly on Brian"s mind.

"Oh," Harry says.

"I mean... Honestly? My lifestyle doesn"t exactly allow for a lot of romance... As you can imagine," he says with a laugh, trying not to feel embarrassed. Louis is generally happy with what he"s got, but he knows how most people feel about it.

"Right," Harry agrees, reaching for Louis" left hand. He starts playing with his fingers, tracing them with his index softly, up and down until he reaches the wrist then back again.

"My last boyfriend was back when I was at uni. We were together for half of the first year and almost all of the second. But I was definitely the romantic one out of the two of us. Cooking awful meals because I wasn"t good at it yet and buying flowers and all of that shit. Surprise gifts and everything. They were more my things than Brian"s. On the flip side, I could probably answer what"s the most romantic thing I"ve ever done more easily..."

Harry stops stroking his fingers at that. "I"m sorry," he says softly.

He sounds genuinely contrite and Louis can"t help the small giggle that escapes his mouth.

"What are you apologising for?" Louis asks against Harry"s skin, kissing the place where his neck meets his shoulder, exposed by his stretched out tee. "S"no big deal. I"m not suffering from it. I don"t feel like I"m missing out."

Harry hums as he starts to caress Louis" hand again. "You deserve nice romantic gestures," he declares.

Louis shivers, uncertain if it"s Harry"s words, or his touch, that"s affecting him this way.

"Well, you cooked breakfast for me," he says, a bit breathless. "That was... that was nice. No one had ever done that for me before."

"No one?" Harry exclaims, tangling their fingers together. "Really?"

"Well, my mum... sometimes my little siblings, but I don"t think that counts in this context," Louis jokes.

"Alright, I"m definitely cooking you breakfast again tomorrow," Harry declares with a huff, sounding really offended. "Actually, I"m cooking you breakfast all week. You can"t protest," he adds just as Louis opens his mouth from behind him. "Don"t even try."