Chapter 19 - Love you the way you deserve

The clock was almost eight in the evening. Stella was tying her shoes and getting ready for her evening walk with Winston. More importantly, she was getting ready for her secret date with Tristan. Ben would freak out if he knew, but luckily he was busy with work.

She pondered if she should tell Tristan about what had happened at the waterfall. She could barely believe what had happened herself. She could feel the primal attraction between her and Ben, but she never thought that he would consider her the one, and she definitely never thought that he would even consider breaking up with Tessa to be with her.

Stella didn't feel the same for him. She loved him, there was no doubt about that, but she loved him in another way. She loved him like a brother, maybe like a boyfriend, but she knew he wasn't her soulmate. She knew in her heart that Tristan was the one for her. But she didn't tell him that, instead she said she loved him too but that they couldn't be together because of Tessa. And that wasn't a lie. She just didn't tell the entire truth because she didn't want to stir things up even more.

The thought of Tessa finding out about their kiss gave Stella the chills. She was never going to let go of him without a fight. Tessa loved both him and them as a couple together. In her world they were the perfect couple reigning over Alvik. She almost killed Stella when they were friends, so she didn't want to know how she treated her enemies.

As always, Tristan was already waiting at their meeting spot when Stella and Winston arrived. It was still light outside and it was the first time she could see all of his wounds clearly. It was even worse than she thought and the realisation felt like a punch in the stomach. But he didn't seem bothered, he was always a ray of sunshine.

Tristan ran up and kissed Stella and of her worries disappeared. When she was with him it felt like she was soaring on clouds. She didn't want to ruin it by bringing up all of the mess with Ben. Tristan was her sanctuary and she didn't want to ruin it.

"I've missed you," he said with a big smile.

"I've missed you too. More than you can imagine."

"Trust me, I can imagine. I don't want to scare you, but I think about you all the time. It might actually be unhealthy."

After a few more kisses they took his truck to the old lighthouse. They laid down a blanked and pillows on the ground and cozied into each other's arms below the starlit sky. After almost an hour in their perfect love-bubble Stella brought up the area they both had avoided:

"So... What has your family said?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean," Stella whispered and gently stroked her hand over his bruised face. "It's impossible that your dad and brother didn't notice this."

"In my family it is... My dad barely knows I'm alive."

"I'm sorry Tristan. You deserve so much better," Stella kissed Tristan's lips. "I love you."

"I love you."

"And Max?"

"I'm Sorry Stella," Tristan said with a tortured face. "I didn't say anything, but he heard about what had happened. I really tried keeping it away from him, I promise."

"Shh," Stella kissed Tristan to stop his anxious rabbling. "I trust you. There were so many at the café, it would have been a miracle if he didn't find out. What did he say?"

"He lost it. I tried to explain that it was a misunderstanding but he wouldn't listen. We really need to be careful. He would never hurt a girl, but I'm afraid of what he might do. He really wants his revenge. If they find out we're still dating they will definitely put an end to it."