𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟖. she who dares wins.

SHE WHO DARES WINS.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

CARRY YOUR THRONE (book one)

°• CHAPTER EIGHT •°

" IT ENDS HERE. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

ASPEN ALONSO DID A LOT OF READING ON THE ARK. It wasn't because she was a book worm or someone who got their rocks off flipping through page after page. She did it for research. She wanted to know how broken laws were handled in the past. Did they kill everyone who dared to rebel? Or was the Ark just a special case? Aspen found out one of Earth's old punishments was the death penalty. For crimes committed that were horrifying, unimaginable, a jury would sentence the criminal to death. There were many ways it was done that slowly grew throughout the years. It just eventually turned into floating. She assumed the Council took notes on this long before she did.

There were always two sides to the death penalty. Aspen researched them both. People agreed with the punishment and thought it would fit the crime for people who seemed to have crawled out of Hell. After someone commits something awful, it'd be so easy to agree with them. And the others, the ones who protested against the death penalty, refused to believe so. They were firm that death should not punish death. Rotting in prison was the way to go.

It took a lot of research for Aspen to come to a settlement. After so many families or friends lost a loved one due to the Council's ruling, it was easy to choose the right side. To be fair, Aspen wasn't aware of the Ark dying while she was up there. Maybe that would have changed her mind, but here, on Earth? Aspen couldn't find herself switching views.

Death does not punish death. Justice can be served with other solutions.

Something curling in Aspen's gut told her this was going to be an important theme while they're on the ground and there'd be nothing she could do to avoid it. This was just exhibit A. Wells's death and how they punish his killer. Aspen and the other delinquents were in the midst of the two opposing sides. One of them having been led by Murphy, beyond furious (rightfully) while Bellamy, Clarke, and Finn all shelter Charlotte in a tent from his murderous wrath.

Even Aspen was concerned about the state of Murphy despite how badly she hated the guy. He hadn't bothered to clean the dry blood from his beatings that painted his once pale skin, now littered with scars and bruises. It was like he wanted to remind everyone what they did to him. His blue eyes were cold and cruel as if he was already playing the images of what he would do to Charlotte when he found her like reruns in his mind. And Murphy's voice, God, Aspen could see why it was obviously so raspy and low. Even the blood can't cover the bruising ring around his neck.