Chapter Six

Kessis waits with me outside Keres House gates as the sun begins to rise in the east. It's another hazy morning in Eureka, the skies a dull yellow as sunlight struggles to penetrate the dust. There's no pattern, no way for meteorologists to predict when the winds will shift and the haze will lift. That sort of reliable consistency went out the window a decade ago. Rumor has it that it's based off of Ehtab's whim and a demon's moods are the definition of mercurial.

Winston shifts his weight and his armor creaks as he moves. I lift my hand and lay it on his warm neck, gloved fingers curling into his dense brown-grey fur.

Movement.

Up on the battlements, the guards shift their attention to the street. A pair of headlights cuts through the gloom, followed by two more. A small convoy of electric armored cars pull up to Keres House, one towing a small horse trailer.

I remember hearing about how expensive and rare electric cars used to be pre-Turning. Now, it's practically all we have out here on the West Coast—when the convoys and container ships manage to get to through, that is. The Motor City, Detroit, is said to be surrounded by a wall manned by priests, nuns and other holy folk in order to keep the factories protected.

Four men get out of the first car, all dressed in body armor and each carrying a small arsenal upon their person. Kessis and I exchange a silent look. I wonder if this is their everyday gear or are they just trying to intimidate the Hunters in their Bedouin-inspired garb?

The men take up position around the middle car while two men and one woman step down from the electric truck at the back. Not a word is spoken as they lower the tailgate and I hear the sound of horse's hooves ring on the ramp. A coppery chestnut Arabian mare is led into view, her four white socks flashing in the headlights. I don't know much about horses, but what I do know is that Arabians are extremely popular in this area, having been bred for these exact conditions for thousands of years.

I'm interested to note that the mare is outfitted in light armor which subtly hums with protection charms.

Only when the mare is completely tacked and loaded up with my charge's gear do the doors of the middle car finally swing open.

Guildmaster Kessis glances at me then steps forward, pulling down his face wrappings. "Welcome to Keres House, Mayor Abbott."

Conrad Abbott is a tall, thin man with watery green eyes, a pronounced Adam's apple, and pale blond hair that is tied in a short queue at the base of his neck. He wears a light brown suit that nearly matches the color of the dust that gently swirls around our feet. As he exits the car, he presses a purple and red checkered handkerchief to his nose and mouth.

"Guildmaster," he replies, voice muffled by the handkerchief. The two men shake hands, and then Abbott looks over at me. "Who's this? I asked for a woman, not a girl."

Behind my veils, I frown. I'm short, it's true, but that's never proved to be a problem in the field. Winston snorts and shakes his head, ears flapping.

Abbott nearly drops his handkerchief as he finally registers Winston's presence. "And what the hell is that thing? A moose?"

I glance over at Winston. Beneath his plastic protective dome, the skin between the big bull's eyes actually crinkles at the insult.

"This is Raine Barlow," Kessis says, gesturing to me. "She is one of best Hunters Keres House has to offer."

I shift my weight and cross my arms, glaring at the mayor.

Abbott's eyes rake me from head to toe, assessing. He turns to Kessis. "You better be right, Kessis. A lot is riding on getting Kayleigh safely to Dust."