Chapter 3

As the entire room's attention seems to converge on Draco and me, my gaze is drawn to Pansy, who watches the scene unfold with an arched eyebrow. A sinking feeling settles in my stomach, anticipating the conversation that will undoubtedly follow this lesson.

Our eyes lock briefly, and I sense a mixture of curiosity and amusement in Pansy's expression. My heart flutters nervously as I wonder if she harbors any misguided suspicions about what transpired between Draco and me. Yet, to my relief, her expression shifts. Her brow falls back into place, and she transitions to suppressed amusement, shaking her head at me subtly, a signal to calm my nerves.

Her jet-black hair cascades over her face, swaying with her movements, and she delicately covers her rose-tinted lips with her hand to stifle a chuckle. It's a reassuring gesture, a silent understanding that whatever happened between Draco and me is likely harmless, and that the forthcoming discussion might be more light-hearted than my initial apprehensions suggested.

Thank Merlin-

With a sly grin in response to Pansy's reassuring gestures, I proceed towards the supplementary stools placed in a corner near the entrance of the room. Draco follows behind me, his movements slow and deliberate, creating an atmosphere of quiet tension.

As I reach for one of the brown wooden stools, Draco's hand gently intercepts mine, the touch lingering with a subtle familiarity. The rings on his fingers glide across my palm for a moment before he picks up the stool I intended to use. The silent exchange between us adds another layer of intrigue to the already charged atmosphere in the potions classroom.

"I guess you're stuck with me for an hour and a half now, Y/L/N," Draco remarks, his tone laced with a hint of amusement as he looks down at me. With a smirk, he picks up another stool and walks towards a small spare table, worn down from years of use and covered in students' scribbles.

I stand there for a moment, watching Draco as he places the two stools next to each other at the table. A snort from Pansy draws my attention, and I turn to see her looking at me with amusement. My lips form into a line, and I widen my eyes at her in response, silently conveying my confusion and mild exasperation at the situation.

''What the hell?'' I mouth, pointing towards the blonde.

''Infatuated,'' she mouths back, mocking me.

I shake my head at Pansy, sharing a slight laugh with her as I walk towards the table. My mind swirls with thoughts about the events leading up to our arrival in the classroom. Is this some kind of joke? Is Malfoy merely bored, seeking entertainment at my expense? It seems the most plausible explanation, given his seemingly uncharacteristic behavior. Why else would he be "nice" for no apparent reason?

Reaching the table placed by the wall on the right side of the room, I sit down on the stool positioned by Draco. He moves to sit as well but is quickly stopped.

"Not so fast, Malfoy," Snape's voice interrupts the quiet hum of the potions classroom, redirecting everyone's attention towards us. I look up at Draco, who has come to a halt, and then back at Snape, who maintains an expressionless demeanor, staring intently into Draco's eyes.

"I much believe you'd be better off seated at the front of the class, and next to your other colleagues," Snape continues, his eyes indicating the table where Pansy, Mattheo, Blaise, and Theo are already seated. The unexpected change in seating arrangements adds another layer of intrigue to an already unusual day in the potions classroom.

"Professor, that table's full," Draco begins, his confusion evident as he glances down at me briefly for support.

Before Draco can finish his sentence, Snape cuts him off with a decisive wave of his hand. "Riddle, up. You are to switch seats with Mr. Malfoy over there and join your other classmate," Snape commands, gesturing for Mattheo to vacate his seat. All eyes in the room turn towards Mattheo, who narrows his eyes slightly in response to Snape's directive.