CH. 11: Trips & Searches

After bidding her parents farewell, Jungseol returned back to the Flower Palace the next morning. She felt happy and relief, knowing that they were doing fine without her around. That although they worked really hard, they were still healthy and okay. She left home when she was just twelve years old to serve the Crown Princess, so she didn't have much time going home. In results, she was grateful Yeonhwa gave her permission to go home.

On her way to the Flower Palace, she noticed how the family of dark clouds were reuniting in the sky. It looked a bit cloudy, but she wondered if it would soon be rainy. Hopefully not.

When she arrived at the Flower Palace, she went to her Quarter to change into her maiden clothes. After she finished, she rushed over to Yeonhwa's room. Because she was moving a bit quick, she accidently bumped into someone. She winced a bit at the hardness, then looked up to find Dongil in front of her.

"I'm sorry, Dongil-ssi." Jungseol apologized, lowering her head. "I wasn't watching where I was going. I was just in rush to the Princess's room. I'm really sorry."

Dongil released a small laugh. "It's alright." he said. "It's okay."

Still, Jungseol had her head down.

The bodyguard sighed. "You went home yesterday, right? How was it? How's your parents?"

"They are fine." she looked up at him a bit. "If you don't mind, I have to go serve Princess Yeonhwa."

As soon as she was about to walk away, Dongil's voice stopped her. "Actually... Can I ask you something? About Princess Yeonhwa?"

Jungseol turned to him again. He cautiously observed around them and luckily found no other maids, servants, or guards present. If they were, he wouldn't be able to talk to her about what he was curious about.

"Has Princess Yeonhwa been seeing someone?" Dongil brought himself to ask.

In response, Jungseol blinked curiously at him.

After the birthday celebration, Dongil couldn't resist thinking about what Yeonhwa told him last night

"I guess I have been thinking about someone."
As much as he didn't want to make a big deal out of it, curiosity was eating him. He didn't want to get his hopes high, but he wanted to know. However, if he knew, what was he going to do? He was just a bodyguard. The Crown Princess's bodyguard.

"No." Jungseol replied. "Princess Yeonhwa hasn't been seeing anybody."

"Are you sure?" Dongil asked again.

The maid nodded. "Why are you asking, though? Did something happen?" She began to wonder if others inside the palace might have overheard her and Yeonhwa talking about Hwayang. If they knew, then it would not turn so good.

"No. At least I don't think so, but..."

"But what?"

Dongil sighed sadly. "Last night, during Yeonhwa's birthday celebration, she kind of said something strange. She mentioned how she'd been feeling nervous and this kind of emptiness these past few days, and... I don't know. I just feel like maybe..."

"What do you feel like?"

He looked at Jungseol with defeated eyes. 'I feel as though Yeonhwa may like someone...' he mentally answered. But he couldn't tell her that. If he did, then she would only assume that he was worried about her feelings or maybe that he possibly liked the Crown Princess. Which he did. So he couldn't say anything.

Dongil shook his head. "Nothing." he said. "Never mind. Forget I said anything."

Jungseol still wondered what he was thinking about, but not wanting to make things awkward and uncomfortable, she only nodded at him. She took his last sentence as her cue to leave and spun around, taking a step ahead.