Chapter Five - Hermione's POV

CHAPTER FIVE:

Hermione's POV:

Alice and I spun around, gracefully, Alice leaning her head against me. It was like a scene from a fairy tale, the moon, the stars, the flowers, the satin...

"Amazing job, Alice!" Ginny was suddenly in front of us, beaming. "You absolutely have to help me with my wedding!" Alice looks like if she could blush she could. Harry looks slightly nervous, at Ginny's side.

"Magnifique!" Fleur announces, sweeping over. By her side, Bill looks uncomfortable, his nostrils flaring. Werewolves and vampires are natural enemies; I can understand his discomfort.

Alice is basking in the praise, and it makes me smile. My smile fades, somewhat, however, as the Denalis make their way over, and my grip on Alice's hand tightens.

"Um, Harry! Let's go get some cake!" Ginny announces, following my gaze.

"Zat eez a good idea," Fleur agreed, folding her arm in Bill's, and tugging him after the retreating Ginny.

"Some Gryffindors they are." I grumble, under my breath, before fixing a neutral expression on my face as the Denalis stop in front of us.

"You must be Hermione," the tall, strawberry blonde one said, with a smile. "And you must be Tanya." I reply, my voice short. Her smile wavers.

"We would deeply like to apologize for our actions, when you were facing the army." This is the older looking female, with a hint of olive to her chalky complexion, and dark hair.

"I think a better description would be your complete and utter lack of action," I snap, and Alice squeezes my hand gently.

"Hermione," she says softly, but I shake my head.

"You don't just abandon family," I hiss between clenched teeth, then pause and take a deep breath. "I can't be here." I mutter, letting go and striding over to the table containing rows and rows of flutes of champagne and fancy finger-foods. I grab a champagne, downing it in one long sip, then pick up a pastry thing to nibble on.

"Not a fan of the in-laws?" A voice speaks up from beside me, and I spin around to face Leah. She's looking amused, and I scowl at her.

"They sodding abandoned us when we needed them most! A few pretty words isn't going to make up for that!"

During the War, all of us, we fought fiercely for each other, casting aside petty grudges and differences- and none of us were hundreds of years old like these vampires, who were certainly old enough to know better. They'd sentenced the Cullens to death, because of one vampire they'd known for what, a year? And this was after decades- centuries, even- of friendship.

Family, they called themselves.
Liars.
Leah raises her hands up in a surrender gesture, easily reading the expressions on my face.

"Hey, I agree with you! No need to bite my head off!" I sigh, and resist the urge to slouch against the table, worried that if I do I'll end up knocking it, and sending champagne spilling everywhere.

"Having fun?" I ask. She pulls a face.
"It stinks."
"Thought you'd be used to the smell by now." I comment.
"Believe me, it's not something you get used to in a hurry." She mutters. "Any word on Jacob?" I ask, and her mouth quirks into a slight smile. "He arrived a few minutes ago. He's dancing with Bella now."

"Really?" I ask, surprised, turning and peering around the garden, looking for a white dress- the easiest way to spot Bella- Edward is twirling Rosalie around, in the middle of the dance floor, but I can't see Bella anywhere, or her dance partner.