Year Five, Day Sixty-One Part 2

Tifa POV

Jenova is defeated. It was another illusion, just like the one in the ShinRa building. Is Sephiroth really even still out there? Or has it really just been Jenova this whole time making us think it was him. Either way, we need to put an end to this entire mess once and for all.

"Jenova's cells..." Cloud murmurs, supporting himself on his huge blade as he catches his breath. "So...that's what this is all about...the Jenova Reunion..."

"Not Sephiroth? All this time...has it really not been Sephiroth we've been chasing?" I inquire, turning to him.

He shakes his head and straightens up. "I'll explain later. Right now, we need to focus on rescuing Sam and stopping Sephiroth."

"But Sephiroth might be-"

"He's here," Cloud says with a hard edge to his voice, "the real Sephiroth is just beyond here. Sam must be, too...It's both incredibly wicked and cruel, but it's releasing a powerfully strong will from deep within the Planet's wound."

With a frown, he walks forward towards where Jenova had stood only moments before. Looking closer, I now see that there's something dark and shiny amongst the rocks. He picks it up and holds it up.

"The Black Materia!"

--------------------------------------------

Sam POV

"Sam, you have to wake up."

I'm back in that cavern with the crystals. Green vapor rises up from the crystals and forms a figure. Soon, I recognize it to be Aerith.

"Aerith?" I ask slowly.

"Sam, this isn't real. None of this is real. You have to remember the truth. Sephiroth-"

I burst awake, drenched in sweat. Sephiroth stirs beside me and sits up, concern shining in his Mako eyes. "Sam? What's wrong?"

"I...I had a dream...I was in this cave...and Aerith appeared...she told me that this isn't real. That none of this is real..." I shakily answer, taking deep breaths to calm myself.

Comfortingly, he brushes a few stray hairs out of my face. "Don't worry. It was just a dream."

I curl into him. "I'd like to visit her tomorrow."

"I don't think that's a good idea. The slums are extremely dangerous right now. Monster activities are spiking."

"Mm..." I moan, already falling back asleep in his warm embrace.

I looks around at Aerith, terror and shock still on my face and tears in my beautiful blue eyes. "A-Aerith..."

That's when I hear a whooshing sound from above. I start to look up just as I see a blade sink into Aeirh from behind. Everything seems to freeze for a moment.

Sephiroth.

"AERITH!!" I scream, catching her in my arms when she slump forward after the long thin sword is withdrawn from her. Already, dark blood is staining her pink dress.

"Aerith, stay with us, please,"  I utter, face soaked in tears. "Cure...where's your Cure materia? Please...you have to tell me where it is..."

She shakes her head and smile sadly up at her. "I'm sorry, Sam. It's too late."

Aerith is dead. Aerith is dead, and Sephiroth is the one who killed her.