1: Smells Like Teen Spirit

8-year old Natalia fumbled with her red hair, trying to stop the locks from slipping through her fingers. All of the other girls had finished braiding theirs, getting ready to turn the lights off, but she could never figure out how to get the strands to weave together. Her face screwed up in concentration as she tried desperately.

"Hey. Do you need a hand, Natty?"

Natalia whirled around to spot 12-year-old Mary sitting at the end of her bed. She nodded slowly and Mary smiled. "Come here and sit next to me," she said softly. Natalia obeyed, her shoulders relaxing slightly as Mary's quick fingers ran through her hair. As she braided, she began to softly sing in Natasha's ear, just so that she could hear.

На склоне наших лет
Нежнее любим мы.
Сияй прощальный свет,
Тот свет любви последней.
Полнеба обхватилаЗари вечерней тень.
Лишь там на западеБродит сияние.
Честь ты береги, честь ты береги
Посмотри, друг, сила силой
Впереди росла, погляди ты
Посмотри, друг, сила силой
Пробуждает в сердце верность
Помоги мне смерить силы
Сила, горесть или голос твой.....
Помедли, помедли,
Помедли вечерний день.
Продлись, очарование.
Пусть кровь скудеет в жилах,
Но в сердце не скудеет
Нежность моя к тебе.
О, ты, очарование,
Последняя любовь.

(Translation and pronunciation at the end of the chapter.)

Mary tied off the second braid, patting Natalia on the shoulder to let her know she was all done. The little girl gave her a hug, swift and quick. "Thank you Mares," she whispered.

"Anytime, Natty." Mary let go, moving quickly back to her bed. Natalia watched her go, longing to be by her side again. Mary was the only person Natalia felt safe with. She felt like her older sister, and she looked like it too. Both girls look incredibly similar, from the red hair to green eyes and pale skin. There were a few differences, however. While Natalia's hair was a flaming red, Mary's was a darker, quieter tone of auburn. And if one looked close enough, they would notice that Mary had a ring of mahogany around her pupils, a contrast to Natalia's vivid green. But the two girls were always together. Mary devoted her time to protecting Natalia, taking any blame for the younger's mistakes. Natalia loved Mary. They loved each other. After all, they were the only family they had. And they kept the other sane while in the Red Room.

A guard turned the light off, filling the room in a heavy darkness. Natalia curled under the sheets, wishing for just a small hint of light. She didn't like the dark. Dark meant uncertainty, and uncertainty led to scary things.

Mary wouldn't be scared, she told herself. Be brave. like Mares. The lullaby echoed through her head, Mary's angelic voice floating through her anxious thoughts.

Честь ты береги, честь ты берегиПосмотри, друг, сила силойВпереди росла, погляди ты...

><

"Romanova, Natalia Alianovna."

Mary balked as the man read out the name.

No.

Natty couldn't leave. She needed her. They needed each other. But now she was going to the USA as Natasha, leaving Mary alone under Dreykov's control.