Haven

"Ugh Christ, so those are Grimm and they're technically mindless beasts that attack you for no reason?"
Curwen said after the explanation that Qrow gave to him and Arbiter. Of course, being the pilot aint so bad when theres no Covenant shooting at you.
"And we are made to protect people."
Qrow added, drinking a bit of his alcohol as Ruby looked at him with a judgmental gaze. Qrow frowned putting away his flask.
"Hunters? Or whats the term.." Curwen asked Qrow, while Arbiter kept quiet. Staring at the rest of team RNJR. Mainly Jaune, they arent getting along so well.
"Huntsmen. Its Huntsmen. Now, tell me. Whats an ODST?" Qrow wondered looking into the cabin.
"Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. We drop from orbit when there's no Spartans left to help us. And thanks to us we sometimes change the tide of battle or end up dying with the rest. Basically, I like to think, we're the most suicidal division of the UNSC ever made."
Qrow nodded, petting Ruby on the head as he sat on the co-pilot seat.
"Soooo... Why'd you turn into an ODST anyway? Isnt it suicide as you said? Dont you have a life to live or anything at all?"
Qrow asked, looking at the helmeted Curwen.
"I dont know really. I honestly want something to do in life, rather than sit around and do absolutely nothing. Even if its dangerous, I'll take it. As long as it gives me a purpose. And as long as my name is remembered."
Curwen explained, his voice sounded casual yet tints of misery and despair were hidden behind his words.
"Oh, names. We havent introduced eachother. Qrow, the girl in red is my niece Ruby. Blondie is Jaune. Ginger is Nora and the other guy is Ren."
Qrow told Curwen, leaning back into the seat but doing his best not to touch the console infront of him.
"Captain Joshua Curwen of the ODST division. That Sangheilios is Arbiter. Thel'Vadam. He was allies with the Chief himself at one point. But... I havent seen a Spartan in forever."
Curwen explained, slightly frowning at the last sentence.
"I see.. Spartan right? I wanna know what that is. Or... Who that is."
Qrow asked, looking at Curwen with his red eyes that glimmered in the light produced by the cabin consoles.
"Super-soldiers. Augmented. The best of the best. Chief gave us hope, all of us. During our desperate times fighting off the Covenant. Other Spartans gave us reminders of Chief's fight when we were up against the banished. Only if he was on Reach... We'd... Nevermind."
Curwen hid those details away, suppressing his emotions in the process. Reach has never been a topic he publicly discussed with others. Arbiter was on Reach, yet he achieved his redemption after facing the enemies that both humans and sangheilios had to face. Achieving victory in the end. Arbiter understood the pain the Covenant caused to a large majority of humans back on Reach. He often blames himself for it, but his will to change and go on has overcome all this negativity. Proving him to be a great warrior against the enemies that the two races share.
"Besides that.. How long are we gonna fly to Haven?"
Qrow asked, looking at the time on his scroll.
"About... 5 minutes. We're almost there."
Curwen replied after looking at the map. The Falcon is a good vehicle for transport, but only on land and not through the vacuum of space. It was quiet after they last spoke. Up until Jaune suddenly began shouting at Arbiter.
"What are you staring at you chrome wearing weirdo?!"
Surprised by his aggression, Arbiter calmly replied.
"You, I can see that you're still mad after the fight that ensued by our mistake. Everyone was at fault there, you shouldnt be shouting just at me. But at them too."
Somewhat annoyed, he stood up from his seat to assert his position as the leader.
"Oh so wise! You almost killed us! You al-"
Arbiter cut him off.
"If I wanted to kill all of you, I would've had done so right before we helped together."
That left everyone wide-eyed. As the Arbiter kept his calm attitude displaying no hostility whatsover, he gestured for Jaune to sit down as the blondie complied scowling. Ruby looked at Arbiter, wanting to ask him a question. At first she kept up the awkward stare before eventually asking.
"Mister... Whats up with your armor and uhm... Your... Legs? How can you walk like that???"
Knowing that Ruby had never seen any sangheilios before, the Arbiter replied. His words sounded gentle as in comparison to his calm yet cold attitude towards Jaune.
"I am a Sangheilios. I live and breathe just like you do. Yet differently."
Ruby let out an understanding 'oooooh', nodding before pulling out her folded Crescent Rose.
"Thats my weapon, uhm. Whats yours?"
Arbiter inspected it by leaning forward. Nodding in response.
"That is a good weapon, some may say using scythes is impractical but you prove them wrong with it."
She smiled at the kind compliment from Arbiter, waitinh for him to show his weapon. She's really curious about all this, but he peaked her interest the most.
"Oh? You want me to show mine now? Well. We are not in battle, I may do so."
With it, he grabbed his energy sword by the handle and enabled it as Nora and Ruby let out a short 'oooo'. Ren complimented the blade: "Its unique. Is it purely energy?"
"Yes. Plasma to be exact, we utilize it often in our arsenal. It is good at breaking shields and burning through armor."
"Oh. I see. If we are able to find one of the said weapons, may I keep it for myself?"
Ren asked curiously.
"Of course. But pick them wisely. Some are better than others."
Arbiter then disabled the blade and put it away.
"That. Looked. So... COOL! SO COOL THAT I'M JEALOUS YOU HAVE THE COOL STUFF-"
Nora exclaimed, looking at the Sangheilios with her eyes fully filled with nothing but joy and awe.
"Landing now."
Curwen announced, stopping their little moment as he left the cabin. The Magnum in his holster on his right outer thigh. The shotgun on his back and the M7S in his right hand.
The group all left the Falcon as they entered the academy. Looking for Lionheart.
"Anyone? Hello?" Called out Ruby, as she then looked at Qrow. Lost. Curwen and Arbiter decided to stay behind and let them deal with this business. Detecting a red dot on his radar, Curwen looked at Arbiter.
"I'll be back in a bit. I think we're not alone."
He grabbed his shotgun and M7S, moving slowly towards the dot. Arbiter on the other hand manned the cannon, thinking there's more enemies coming.
Silence struck the woods as Curwen had no other choice but to enable his flashlight, infront of him is a male figure with a black cloth over his eyes. He raised his shotgun as the figure finally noticed him, asking.
"Tell me. What do YOU fight for?" he asked Curwen as the other one replied.
"Peace. And justice for the fallen."
The horned faunus approached Curwen steadily.
"Then why you Atlas personnel do what you always do?.." To the figures surprise, Curwen quickly replied.
"Not Atlas. UNSC. I'm not them, and besides, if you really do hate them. Dont take it out on me. I'm just a bystander."
"And a witness." Added the faunus as he pulled out his blade. Stepping back and pointing his sword at Curwen he taunted.
"Lets dance."
Few sudden strikes attempted to hit Curwen as he used the frame of his shotgun to block them, eventually landing a nasty hit into their face and jumping backwards.
"Who the hell are you?"
The faunus smirked, not saying anything just yet.
Slicing horizontally, the sword stabbed into the armor plating as Curwen fired into his chest. Causing him to move backwards.
"Amateur." Said the red haired swordsman as his blade struck Curwens chest-plate. Leaving permanent damages on them. Without further ado, Curwen tossed a flare onto the red haired faunus. Running away from the encounter. Knowing his knife isnt enough to protect himself, best course of action is to retreat. So he did, hoping the faunus burnt thanks to the flare.
"I need to get myself some blade of some sorts. That guy is a fucking pro.." Thought the scared ODST as he hopped into the Falcon. The Arbiter looked at him, asking.
"What happened?" Playing it safe, he replied:
"Just one of those Grimm things. Nothing else..."
He questioned the encounter and why was he close to Haven and the Falcon especially. Did he want to steal it? Is he planning something? After that, he sat down and theorized.