• o n e •

— 2024

"I promise, I'll make it up to you."

He takes her hands in his own, eyes locked onto hers to clarify his sincerity. She furrows her brows sadly, a subtle frown on her face. "You promise?"

He nods, moving one hand to caress her face. "You have my word. I know I made a mistake. I won't forget again, I promise."

"It's just this year was different, Michael." She withdraws from him, slowly pacing around the room. "It was five years. That's a milestone for us. I thought you'd remember our fifth anniversary."

"I know. I just ... I had a lot going on with work." Michael slips his fingers through his long, black curls stressfully. "I know it's not an excuse, but my mind was so full from deadlines and other stuff."

She nods, feeling hurt, but understanding her partner. "I know. I just wish you realised I don't need you to work so much. I would rather see you more and have less money. We can get by. We can afford it. And we'd have had a better day today."

"Harper, look. I know you think we can get by and that everything is fine ... but we're both grown adults. We both know that once our little girl is here, things are going to get expensive." Michael rests a loving hand against his wife's slowly-growing baby bump, with a strong glint of adoration in his eyes. "I'm so excited to meet her. And things will be so much better if we have the financial means to make her life perfect."

Harper looks up to him, tears starting to form in her pretty green eyes. "I know. I just miss you."

"It won't be for much longer okay? Once I get this promotion at work, I'll be making more per hour and that means I can do a little less. And that means seeing your beautiful face just that little bit extra."

This comment earns a smile from her, so he grabs the chance while she's in a better mood to end the discussion. "I love you — both of you. So much." He squeezes her cheek playfully. "And we'll be alright."

She nods, feeling a little more satisfied than before. "I love you too. I'm gonna go rest a little though. I'm feeling a little nauseous."

"No problems, babe. Do you want me to come wake you up when I've made you food?"

"Yeah, thanks. I'll see you in a while." She flashes a smile, before heading out the room, and out of sight.

The moment she vanishes, a frown forms on Michael's face. He walks over to his laptop, which is perched on the arm of the sofa. Taking a seat, he opens up the laptop, switching it on and logging in to view his emails. He clicks the very top email — one he already read just prior to his little disagreement with Harper — to read it once again, with fear causing a painful ache in his chest.

Re: Notification of Release of Contract

Dear Mr Jackson,

Due to the fact that the business is slowly losing its clients, I regret to inform you that — as of June 17, 2024 — we unfortunately have to release you from your contract of employment as the business is subject to liquidation.

We thank you sincerely for your contributions to the company, and will keep all information about your employment for future reference. If we find any suitable job opportunities, we will be sure to notify you.

If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to get into contact with us, and once again we apologise.

Many kind regards and best of luck for your future.

Mark Hanover

CEO, Alliance Ltd

A shaky breath escapes as Michael closes the email. He hates to lie to his wife, but if she finds out he's been laid off, she will be devastated. He evaluates that he must find a new job, before she can realise he's lost his old one. Opening up a new window, he searches for job opportunities in Indiana — but limited options show up.