Chapter 23

~Nat's POV~

Everyone else went to go get fooI waited in the living room for them to come out again, then Bruce came in.

"I know it's probably a bad time, but I was wondering if I could check on Y/N and see what her condition is before we leave tonight." He asked. I hated that I had to let Y/N leave and go back to New York. But she had to. She would be safer there.

"Yeah. I'll go check on her." I said standing up. I walked over to the door and opened it. I looked to the bed and Y/N was laying on top of Bucky. His arms were around her. She was sleeping but he looked at me. He moved her carefully off of him and covered her up with the blanket and motioned me to go back outside. "How's she doing?" 

"She's a little shaken up, but she'll be okay." He said. "Was there anything you needed?"

"No. Bruce just wanted to check on her condition before she leaves for the compound tonight." I explained. 

"She's leaving?" I nodded. I didn't think about Bucky when I told Tony to send her home. Bruce was going and so was Tony. "I'm going with her." He said. I shook my head.

"No, Bucky we need you here." He shook his head and looked into the door that was slightly open. 

"She needs me." He said. 

"She need me, too. But I'm staying to take care of the people who hurt her." I started to raise my voice. "You don't think I don't hate myself for not being there for her before she was taken or when I have to make her leave to keep her safe." He looked down at his feet. 

"I understand, Nat. But she's finally letting me in." He whispered. "I want to be there for her." I nodded and pulled him in for a hug. I could feel him hesitate and I laughed quietly. 

"You're going to be good for her." I said. 

"I hope so." He said back. Bruce came up behind us.

"Um, I'd hate to interrupt the the moment. But I would really like to check her out." Bucky nodded and started to go into the room. 

"Can I get her?" I asked him and he nodded again. I went in slowly and took a deep breath. I could see her visible bruises and it hurt me. I sat down on the bed and I grabbed one of her shoulders. Her hand grabbed my wrist and she pushed her weight onto me, making us both fall off the bed. 

"Woah!" Bucky yelled. "Y/N! Let her go!" I looked into her eyes. 

"Oh my god. Nat, I'm so sorry." She pleaded. I shook my head.

"It's okay, you're on edge." I said. "I get it." She stood still and there was silence before Bucky said something. 

"Y/N, you're going to have to get off of her." She nodded and got off of me. When I stood up, she instantly wrapped her arms around me. I did the same. I saw Bucky and Bruce smile at her actions. I tightened my grip on her but she winced. 

"Ow." She said. I let go and my eyes widen.

"Yeah, I want to check on her before she leaves." Bruce said to Bucky. 

"What?!" She said. "I'm not leaving." She said. Almost laughed. I was shocked by that. Bucky looked at her. "What? Don't look at me like that. We need them gone before they hurt anyone else." She said. But Bucky walked up to her. He lifted up her shirt to show the bruises. I couldn't look. 

"That's what they did to you, Y/N." He said. "You are a liability. You could get hurt more. Or worse." She shook her head. 

"I've been through worse." She mumbled. 

"Y/N, you ran into my arms crying yesterday." He said, raising his voice a little. 

"I was crying because I got the chance to try again with you. I thought I wasn't gonna see you again to say sorry." She said back. "I'm not afraid to die." 

"You are leaving. That is not up for discussion." He said in a low voice. 

"I'm a big girl." She said, with the Y/N attitude I remember. "I can make decisions for myself." I saw Bucky's jaw clench. 

"Not when they're are stupid decisions." He said. 

"Fine. But I'm not leaving by myself." She finally agreed. She pulled him in for a hug. He wrapped his arms around her. I looked at Bruce and he wore a look of shock on his face. I smiled. 

"Again, I don't want to interrupt b-," He started. 

"But you want to check on her." Bucky and I said at the same time. Y/N smiled and laughed a little, making Bucky smile. 

~Y/N's POV~

Bruce took me into the presidential suite where Tony was. Tony threw me a gown.

"Put this on." He said looking at a tablet. I went into the bathroom. I took off my shirt and saw the bruises that Bucky was talking about. I inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. I pulled the gown over my head and then took off the sweatpants. 

"What are we doing exactly?" I asked them. 

"I have a portable X-ray machine." Tony said. I looked at him. "It's my suit." It was silent for a good ten minutes as they got everything ready. "Alright you're gonna step into this, and you're gonna just stand there while we look at you. Sound good?" I nodded slowly. I stepped into the suit and he closed. "Stay as still as possible." 

"Okay." I called out. I wasn't standing there long before they started talking. 

"Tony do you see that?" I heard Bruce say. "What is it?" 

"It looks like a chip. Tracking chip?" Tony asked. 

"No the technology looks more complicated." He answered. "Alright, Y/N. You're okay to come out." 

"Bruce and Dr. Cho are going to take a closer look at you when you get there." He said. I tilted my head in confusion. 

"You're not coming home?" I asked. He shook his head. I nodded. "Okay. But Bucky is coming home with Bruce and I." I said. 

"Since when. You hate, Barnes." He said. 

"I know." I said walking into the bathroom to change. 

Word Count:
1057