Unbound Restraint

"What happened?"

"I don't know, she passed out seconds after the collar was placed on her.'

"How could you let this happen! She was under your care at the time. I will not be associated with your misjudgment-"

"My misjudgment? This is your technology doctor."

"Either way, if this ends badly you know what Colonel Kubritz will have us do. The rest of the government thinks we are researching the Messier Galaxy for a potential threat."

"And that's all we are doing, isn't that right gentlemen?"

"Colonel Kubrits! Yes ma'am, Of course."

"There has been an unexpected meeting planned that I need to attend. I will be leaving tonight."

"When will you return?"

"That is unclear at this point. Remember what I said, She doesn't exist. Not now or ever, are we clear?"

"Yes, Colonel."

...

What is this feeling? My chest feels like it's on fire. I can't breathe or move. Is this a test? I don't know what to do. How do I make it stop? Please help me. Is anyone there? I want to cry from the pressure inside of my body. A scream cuts through the base, echoing off the concrete walls, reflecting my inner turmoil. A blinding light invades my eyelids and I feel like I'm being lifted off the floor. All at once, everything stops. Dropping onto the cold plastic of my floor I embrace this new feeling of peace wash over my body. The door opens suddenly accompanied by overlapping questions.

"I can't understand either of you when you speak at the same time like this," I say, sitting up. Both Doctor Carter and Seargent Costas look from me to each other. 

"No, not right now I need to run tests and ensure that she is ok."

"This is the only chance we have! Everything is down throughout the entire base and everyone is focused on restoring the power." the Seargent yells.

"Who will take care of her. We both know Colonel Kubritz will not just let her go, and she can't survive on her own."

My newly rejuvenated mind tries to wrap itself around what they are saying, only to become more confused. Is someone leaving?

"Go with her then, I will stay and keep Kubritz off your trail."

"This is suicide Seargent!"

"Your the only one who knows how to take care of her," Seargent Costas starts but gets cut off again by the doctor.

"I only monitor her, that does not mean I understand what she is capable of or how to control it."

"Then don't," Seargent Costas starts, "We have ruined her life for too long trying to control her. This small choice, to give her the freedom she deserves, is worth the sacrifice."

Are they talking about me? Where am I going? I have never been anywhere but here. What if she catches me? I'll be tortured! I noticed my body beginning to shake again and my heart starts descending into my stomach. Is the light going to come back? I don't feel like I should pass out right now, something is clawing at the back of my mind telling me to go. Warm hands meet my shoulders forcing me to focus on their owner.

"I know I haven't always done what I should have. But know that I will do everything in my power to, one day, earn your forgiveness." Seargent Costas says.

Tears well up in my eyes with yet another unfamiliar feeling. Before I realize what I'm doing, I jump into his arms and hug him. When he pulls away I can see tears in his eyes as well.

"Now go, Messier. I will see you again." He says