The life I had led

WARNING: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WHO JUST WANT A COMEDY FANFIC. THIS IS MANY GENRES, BUT THE BACKSTORY ISN'T EXACTLY HEARTWARMING. IF YOU WANT THE STORY SKIP THIS CHAPTER.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: I DO NOT OWN HUNTER X HUNTER. I MERELY MADE THIS FANFICTION. ALTHOUGH I TRY MY BEST TO MAKE IT ACCURATE, THE WORK IS NOT GUARANTEED TO BE ENTIRELY TRUE. PLEASE DO NOT COUNT ANYTHING IN HERE SUCH AS DATES, VOCABULARY AND AGES AS FACTS. I OWN MY OC. IT IS ENTIRELY FICTIONAL, AND ANYTHING REGARDING WHAT IS NOT FROM THE SHOW (I didn't read the manga) IS EITHER MADE BY ME OR A COINCIDENCE IF IT RELATES TO REAL LIFE. THANK YOU.

Notice: thank you so so much for reading this! I actually stayed up really late to write this first chapter. I'll try my best for future chapters if this is successful. I have it planned out for a few chapters and I will try to give all you readers a satisfactory experience. Thank you so much!

My life had been pretty typical up until I was in middle school. I had decent parents who loved me, a religion, no siblings, no pets... and only one friend.

I wasn't exactly popular in my school.
I kept to myself, keeping my inner self closed up behind lock and key.
I only let my mask slip a tiny bit around my best friend, but even I didn't know exactly how much of myself I was keeping behind lock and key.

I had been 9 when I stumbled across a romance novel, and it... completely destroyed my innocence.

My parents were Christians, so I felt terrible but I had to keep reading. I found more and more books, getting less and less pure, until I was reading books with the Underground, drug and sex trafficking, rape, and romance.

Eventually, I grew bored... when I was 10.
By then, I felt terrible, believing I had committed a grave sin against God.
I prayed for forgiveness, but I didn't actually feel remorseful, which made me even more stressed out.

I managed to take my mind off of romance books through anime.
I heard about it through YouTube, and I started watching all the popular anime...
My Hero Academia, Black Butler, Demon Slayer, Hunter X Hunter...
I grew bored of the longer ones fairly quickly. I started Naruto but barely got to the last phase of the "Exam" before abandoning it.

Hunter X Hunter captivated me, though, and I even read the manga.
I felt like an otaku, but at the same time not. I wasn't aware of myself during this time.
I kept up a cheerful, innocent and friendly facade during this time, slowly losing my true self to the mask.

When I got to middle school in 7th grade, I finally came to my senses... and abandoned entertainment.

I had finally finished the manga of HxH, and decided to stop being lazy.
When it was the end of 6th grade, summertime, I realized what a couch potato I was being... and I hated couch potatoes.

So I started studying during the summer. Unexpectedly, I had an amazing memory.
It was almost photographic, but I could remember even the faintest sounds if I tried; I almost couldn't forget anything.

Even when I was asleep, I could remember the sounds I had heard, such as grass swaying when I left the window open, my mother opening the door and closing it, and the fan turning on.

I had always just accepted it, but after research I discovered I may be a bit different from other pre-teens.
I decided it probably had to do with my brain, since my genetics weren't anything special.
After coming to term with my hidden talents, I embraced the amazing memory I had and started learning languages.

It didn't take me long to master Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian.
After learning the spoken languages, I learned the written languages... and once again, I was surprised.