thirty-nine - it's textbook

Rya

"And so that's pretty much it," My hands curl together underneath the podium, the cuffs clinking together. The faces of the Council stare back at me, impassive and unreadable.

I've spent hours here in the council chambers, trying to recount all the events of the past weeks and answering every question they can throw at me. I don't know what they expected from Shadow, but I know I'm most certainly not it. They can't seem to figure out what to do with me.

The gazes of everyone in the room are pinned on me, I can feel them boring into my skull. I keep my eyes locked on the top of the podium, studying the scratches etched there.

"Thank you, Miss Morgan." Red Herring says. I can see her reflection distorted in the shiny lacquered podium, "But I do have one last question."

I suck in a breath, trying to look back up at her but I can't meet her eyes. Instead, my gaze flickers up to the council chambers beyond. Behind Red Herring stand the other four members of the council, all lined up and looking extremely menacing.

Pressing my lips together I force my gaze up to the councilwoman. Her hand rests on the armband inlaid with ruby jewels as she tilts her head, "If you're to be believed, you did not intend to become a Villain. However, you knew very well that as a Super you should wait to be 18 and join the League. What made you defy the rules at 14?"

Ducking my head, I tap my fingers nervously against the cuffs as I answer, "There's always someone who needs saving."

"You may sit now." She nods toward the rows of seats.

Trying not to rush, I make my way to the first row of seats and drop-down, exhaustion racking through my body. I let my eyes fall closed, knowing that I'll have to wait for the council to debate what to do with me before I get any sort of verdict.

There are no windows, no clocks, no way for me to figure out what time it is or how long I've been stuck in this interrogation. Aside from the council, I'm alone and this is the first time in days I've really been able to sit and think.

I don't like where my thoughts lead.

Prison. I'm so afraid that's where this leads. No matter how sure Nick was that I'm innocent, I don't believe the council will see it the same way. They're used to dealing with Villains, not scared kids.

"Miss Morgan," Afterthought says. I jolt to attention, starting up at him even as the fear pounds through me, "We've decided."

---

The doors to the council chamber swing open before me, leading out onto the sweeping staircase and deserted lobby below. Well deserted except for three familiar figures Trey is there, next to the last two people I expected to see.

"Mom?" My voice cracks as I race down the stairs. I can see the disbelief in my parents' eyes at the black uniform but neither of them say anything. As soon as I hit the lobby floor I'm sprinting forward, throwing my arms around my mother. I haven't cried yet, not since this started, but as her arms wrap around me the tears are let loose. My shoulders shake as they stream silently down my face.

"Honey," She presses my face to her shoulder, "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine," I say, choking back my sobs. Finally, I release her and step back, swallowing and trying again, "I'm fine, really."

I turn, wrapping my father in the same long hug. "I know I have to tell you guys."

"It can wait," He pulls me protectively under his arm, "We're going home."