chapter 23

Ron had been a cop before the outbreak.

He had been chasing a man in his car when a figure had been standing right in front of him. He had slammed his breaks on the car and hit the figure. Ron stepped out of the car and looked down at the bloody figure. It had moss growing between the cracks in its face, white fluid leaking out of its eye sockets and a thick layer of blood coating its chest.

The forensics team had been called to the scene and samples from the figure had been taken and examined by crime reporters, who had determined that it was a new strain of some sort of virus and that this was deadly. Within days the whole of the city had been infected. Ron had been locked in his house for several days when the military burst in and nearly killed him—he had tried to escape, but was knocked out and dragged into a military truck. He faintly remembered this, but he had woken up in a large, cone shaped tent, with a man standing in front of him. There had been a few people talking—once the guards had left, he had tried to escape. Well he had succeeded. He hadn't even let any soldiers see him and he had escaped.

He had been on the streets for quite some time when he had met a couple of rag tag groups of soldiers, one of them being Dave. They had traveled for awhile, adapting and learning in this new world, until they had all found out about the other survivors and they had kidnapped them, which led Ron to this place.

Ron was lying in bed, eyes wide open. Sometimes he had questioned whether or not he liked this life with Dave; he thought that it was good because he had a life, he had food and water and he was still alive, but that same time, he had thought that it was bad because he didn't know how far Dave was willing to go. Though he did figure that he would like seeing these people suffer and die, since they had been thwarting Dave—and he did like Dave more than them.

He slowly stood up from the bed and leaned against the wall, slowly and silently staggering toward the door of his room. The hallway opposite the wall was pitch black. The only sounds were the faint mutterings of guards as they stood guard at their night shift. And as he continued to stagger through the hallways, eyes bloodshot, he suddenly fainted.

________________

The room where Linda was was completely dark. She was lying in her bed awake, listening to a couple of faint buzzing sounds, as well as the soft moans that drifted up through the window. She slowly stood up and walked toward the door, placing her hand against it, and wondering when the hell she would be getting out of this cell. This whole ordeal had been hell for her. She remembered the times just after the outbreak, when she had been stripped away from her family and locked away for what seemed like months in a FEMA camp. She had been forced to work and do her share with vicious beatings daily. Then she had had enough of it and she had escaped and a found a group of rag tag survivors who had decided to trust her enough to take her in. She had met good friends and they had traveled and battled together, and then they had found that house that Joe and Ken had discovered—they were then attacked and they ended up in this place.

She sat down against the door and started crying—she had seemingly lost everything; she had lost most of her friends, her family, the only thing that seemed intact was her life. Her hair had gotten in her eyes and she brushed it back. It was stringy, wiry and dirty. She had to find a way to get out of there; she could no longer stay.

She just sat there and thought for a few more moments.

******

Dave awoke refreshed.

The sun had climbed high over the horizon, and he was ready to tackle the day. He had already dressed in his military uniform before the sun had gotten up, so he stepped out of his room and made a cup of coffee. A guard stepped into the room.

“What about today?” asked the guard.

“We are going to send a few scouts out into the city, find a few more people. This place should protect them from the dangers of the zombies,” said Dave.

“Sounds good,” said the guard.

“I am refreshed,” Dave said.

“You look it Dave,” the guard said.

“Now go, eat some breakfast, we have a long day ahead of us.”