03; calm and storm.

EVERYTHING WAS SO BEAUTIFUL.❞

—

It was so nice for Naomi to have the opportunity to use a shower. Since her community was destroyed, she had never been able to clean herself because the water of the rivers was either too cold or too dirty. The feeling of hot water on her skin reminded her of the good times. Home, family, normality.
They had then fed her, and for the first time in weeks it was not canned food or dead animals. She ate pasta and some vegetables. She had to admit that she felt so much better already.

She spent the night in her cell as Michonne had said, with the difference that they gave her a pillow and some blankets. Besides the cold, she wasn't unhappy. She was used to sleep in caves, an eye always opened to control the surrounding situation, so that cell was more than enough.

Negan was good company too. When she returned to her cell after settling down, he told her a bit about the place he was running before being locked up, the Sanctuary. He described it as heaven on earth, although he reiterated that his manners weren't the best. He also told her that if he had met her sooner, he would have convinced her to become one of his wives. Naomi was still confused about that.

The next day, Naomi was woken up by a metallic noise. When she opened her eyes, she saw Gabriel closing Negan's cell while the latter stood behind him, wrists tied up together, waiting for who knows what.

She got up, yawning. The father immediately turned to her then, approaching the bars of her cell. "Good morning. I'm taking Negan to the gardens, he kind of works there. Do you want to go with him?" he asked. Naomi was still sleepy, but she looked at Negan who was nodding slowly looking at the girl, as he wanted to encourage her to say 'yes'.

"Uhm- yeah, why not." she figured the fair would be held in the afternoon, so spending the morning busy wouldn't have been that bad. At that point, Gabriel opened her cell too, then led both Negan and the girl to the gardens. Gabriel left the two to their work after untying the man's wrists.

Negan started doing his job almost immediately, retrieving a basket from some wooden tables nearby. "Nope, all I have to do is pick tomatoes, if you're wondering." he said, imagining that the girl was waiting for something more than taking a basket and picking the vegetables.

She shrugged her shoulders then, doing the same thing: she took a basket, going on the opposite side to Negan. She kneeled, then started gathering cucumbers and carrots. "You've been a farmer for eight years? Every day?" she asked.

"Almost. I assure you that sometimes it's hella fun, you happened right in the harvest day." he chuckled.

"You said all you have to do is picking tomatoes."

"Now. But other times I take care of the land and I sow it. That's amazing, it's my favorite activity ever." Naomi could sense his irony, so she giggled. "Look on the bright side: you still take care of what's your duty. People, tomatoes. It's not a big difference if you're still the leader." she joked, causing the man to laugh.