₀₁ × 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝐶𝐻𝐼𝐿𝐷𝑅𝐸𝑁

▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋▋

ꉂ 𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐄 ;   𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔬𝔫𝔢 ▬

❛  𝑊𝐸𝐿𝐶𝑂𝑀𝐸  𝑇𝑂  𝑊𝐴𝑅.  ❜

At the pith of warrior headquarters, training was currently undergoing

It was one month until the new wave of titans inheritors were to be announced, so tension was high among the corps.

Magath was ruthless. He cared not about whether the kids could manage to continue with training, he only worried if they had done their part. It was an evaluation after all. He wasn't the one that had come up with the rules, so nothing could be done about it now.

"Porco, pick up the pace or I'll have you do another round of laps!" He ordered to the panting boy.

You couldn't suppress a snicker, stealing a glance at his flushed face. "Yeah, pick up the pace, blondie."

"Shut the fuck up! Don't you see that I'm trying to do just that?" Porco countered back, finally gaining momentum to cross you.

'Geez, what crawled up his ass?'

You passed him, but not before hitting him with the butt of your rifle.

"Sucker," you murmured.

A muted groan was heard from the boy, but you didn't notice it, as your mind was already elsewhere.

You began rounding to the top, passing candidates with a breeze. It wasn't until you got to second place that the finish line began nearing, and ending in such a position would sour your afternoon. You hurried to claim first place, but the blonde in front wasn't going to allow that.

Annie quickened her pace, using the end of her rifle to push you back and finish in first place.

"Now, who's the sucker, [Reader]?"

━ ⨳ ━

━ ⨳ ━

There was talk around town about an Eldian uprising.

The streets of Marley were as normal as they usually were— no abnormal fluctuation amidst the citizens. The long roads and high buildings remained tranquil during the morning, inviting the thousands of people that hung there daily to continue with their normal business. Even the townspeople in the outskirts of the grand city were calm, all of them oblivious to the stirring gossip that was blossoming in the heart of the nation.

The whispers of the people were rough and blatant, and despite that, not many were paying attention to be able to discover them.

A new talk was sprouting over town. The Eldian Restorationists were on the move.

It was undoubtedly the most suitable time for the criminal group to act, as the country was preoccupied with the critical military affairs that were soon to take place. In a month, the nation would be gifted with the new wave of titan shifters.

In the red-bricked warrior building that stood amock the rest of the stations in the military base, there was only glee present— as unfitting as it sounded.

The warrior candidates tried their best to get along with one another— as best as intimidated children could consider in a nation that pressured them to succumb to their dangerous purpose— and, somehow, it worked. After awkward pretenses had been sifted through, they all realized they were the same.

Devils fighting for the same goal, to make a proud living in Marley.

But in reality, they're just children. Lost, helpless teenagers that have no escape from their reality besides to lie and commit to the act of a loyal civilian.

It was a futile battle.

Follow [Reader], for example— as a reference.

After spending the day training and burning her muscles to their full extent, she could only gaze at her future with a messy toothed grin. She was sure— convinced, really — that there was hope for her in the land of the free.

A caged bird is only confined until the lock is undone. After that, the bounded bird is no longer. It is liberated.

That's how she saw her situation. Even if a twenty-meter wall separated her homeland from the treasure she sought, the enclosure was only that; A high bridge showcasing all the glory she would gain once she dedicated herself to Marley and earned her red armband.

What she didn't foresee, however, was that up high in the wall, was slippery business. And once her boot caught into the sticky mess, there was no way to undo it.

She slipped into the darkness, its chilling embrace keeping her company.

She had been told countless times before, but there's no better lesson than first-hand experience. Because, after all, there was no home for the devils of Liberio in the mainland.

 Because, after all, there was no home for the devils of Liberio in the mainland

× × × × × × × × × × × × × × × ×
━━━ ✹ ━━━