Chapter Six: Page Zero

"Jen, look here."

Her curious jeweled eyes looked up at my face, distracted from the bright flowers. I laughed.

"No, no, not at me silly girl," I corrected. I shifted my gaze a bit higher than the flowers while waiting for her to imitate my movement. "There. Do you see it?"

"Ababwu?"

I chuckle as it approaches, it's bright white wings delicately fluttering. "See? It's a butterfly."

"Baubwa?"

Ah, perhaps the butterfly is a bit... too close?

Tentatively, the insect landed gracefully on top of Jennette's head.

"Oh dear," I laugh. The girl only looks confused, trying to look up at the strange object on her head. Still supporting her with my left arm, I brushed her hair with my right hand. "Just a moment, sweetie."

Jennette closed her eyes as I brushed it with my fingertips, carefully allowing the butterfly to climb onto one of my fingers. Success came after a moment, the delicate white dusted wings of the butterfly folding and unfolding. Slowly lowering my hand, I brought it in front of her.

"See? Butterfly," I smiled. Jennette's jeweled eyes sparkled in awe.

"Baubwa~" she babbled, reaching toward the winged creature only for it to fly away in a hurry. Her eyes couldn't follow, growing puzzled once again, erupting laughter from within my chest.

It's been seven months now, and little Jennette is almost eleven months old. Despite it just turning December, the heat is akin to mid autumn. The weather was nice today, so I brought little Jennette out to see the flowers. It would return to cooler weather next month, so it was best to enjoy a warmer day while it lasts.

"Aa, atchu!"

Jennette let out a small sneeze before leaning back into my shoulder. She curled up a bit in my arms, grabbing onto my uniform with her tiny fists, and rubbing her cheek near the crook of my neck.

I sighed, softly petting the back of her head with my spare hand. In response, she tilted into my hold with a small smile. With a quiet chuckle, I lightly kissed the top of her head.

Hearing faint snickering, I glanced to the open passageway where a few maids huddled together, whispering to one another. It was Protea and two other maids, stealing constant glances at me and Jennette with slighted grins.

My jaw clenched and I narrowed my eyes. I turned my head partially, looking at them with a hardened expression.

"Is something the matter?" I called out, albeit not too loud so as to not surprise the baby in my arms. Curiously, Jennette looked up at me.

A bit nerved and shocked at me speaking, they stood silent and judging. Now that I had noticed them, they hesitated before breaking out into mocking smiles.

"Dear me, of course not! There's nothing wrong. Please, don't mind us, and go back to playing around."

... How funny that they were the ones saying that. Taking care of a baby was anything but 'playing around'.

"Aa...?" Jennette made a confused babble.

With a slightly irritated sigh, I turned away just a bit. It is what it is. I shouldn't get into big fights while Jennette is around.

"... Speaking of playing around," I realized, glancing over. A light breeze passed over me, caressing the baby in my arms with drowsiness. "You three must have a lot of free time to be gossiping so blatantly on a nice day like this."