First Meeting

Emira

Ed is out on his big date, Amity is locked in her room freaking out about Luz, and I'm spending my first time on my own at the library. That's kinda depressing. I decided I wanted to go out but didn't know where to go. Before I knew it I was at the front steps of the library. I guess this is what I get when the only places I really go to are home, school, and the library thanks to Amity.

Well, maybe it won't be so bad. I can take this time to walk around and explore a bit. Whenever Ed and I come here nobody ever pays that much attention to us. It's kind of nice that everyone is in their own world so they don't see anything beyond the book they are reading. I guess this is why Amity likes this place so much. It's free of the pressures of being a Blight. I never really gave it much thought but this is probably one of the few places where I feel I can be myself without any pressures.

I must have spaced out a bit there. I don't recognize this part of the library. Not that I know the library like the back of my hand or anything but still. It looks older than the rest of the library and there's nobody here. It's also somehow darker than the rest of the library and also dustier. I guess not many people come to this section. It's actually kinda nice if you don't mind the dust. There's nobody around and the lighting is actually soothing. Maybe a bit too soothing. What's that noise is someone snoring?

I followed the noise to an opening with several empty tables with the exception of one. This table had several stacks of books that almost looked like a child's fort. It was also the source of the noise. As I got closer I saw that the source of the noise was a sleeping boy. He looks to be about my age. Yet the bags under his eyes and the scars on his face and arms almost make him look older. He must have a pretty hard life? I took a seat next to him, careful not to wake him, and studied his features.

His ashy blond hair is actually well combed. I wonder how he got those scars. His clothes are of really good material so he must be from a wealthy family. I continued to watch him sleep while trying to figure out what his story was. Hmm, is that a mask? I must have dozed off because when I came to I was in the middle of a book avalanche.

Hunter

Oh no I fell asleep again he said startled at the realization that he had unintentionally taken a break. How do you want to prove your worth when you can't even stay awake while doing research? *sigh* It's not like it matters. I didn't find anything useful today. The number of missions I've been on lately have started to wear me out. I can barely make out the words in these books with how tired my eyes are. My tiredness is just a sign that I need to do better. That's right, I have to be better for him.

That's why I started coming to the library to do research on wild magic in the first place. I want to help Emperor Belos. It's a slow process but I have learned a lot. I know that somewhere within one of these books I'll be able to find a way to help him. Although falling asleep during my research time won't do any good. At the very least I managed to get some sleep in so maybe now I'll be able to focus ... *chu*

Huh? What was thaAAAAHHH! Exclaimed Hunter as he jumped up after noticing the girl sitting next to him. His outburst caused the towers of books on the table to come tumbling down on the sleeping girl.

First Meeting

"Ouch, that hurt. What are you doing? Why are you yelling?" Muttered Emira as she nursed her head which had been bombarded by books.

"What? Me?! You! Why are you here? What were you doing?!" Stammered Hunter as he tried to make sense of the situation.

"Isn't it obvious? I was taking a nap before I was so rudely interrupted." Said Emira cooly as she dug herself out of the mountain of books.

"S..orry you surprised me. There's never other people in this section of the library," answered Hunter in a more composed tone as he offered his hand. "Plus people don't normally take naps with strangers."

"I know but you looked so peaceful sleeping that I just had to join you" responded Emira as she took his hand.

"...Right?..." realization filled his face as he gazed up at the golden-eyed emerald-haired girl. "I know you, you're the eldest Blight daughter right?"

"That's interesting because I don't know you. Are you one of my secret admirers?" Teased Emira.

"What?!" Retorted Hunter taken aback by her comment. "No,... everyone knows who the Blights are."

"That's a compelling argument..." said Emira as she got a bit closer to the boy meeting his gaze. "...but why are you still holding my hand then?" Jested Emira with a sly smile.

Hunter quickly pulled his hand away and turned so the girl wouldn't see his blushing face although his crimson ears gave him away. "I think you should go." stuttered Hunter, still not wanting to make eye contact. Something about the way she looked at him made him very nervous.

"Oh don't be like that, I was just teasing. Besides, it looks like you could use some company plus I could be of some help with whatever you're doing" she said as she started rummaging through the books that were still on the table.

Hunter turned to look at her wearily. "I don't need any company, I'm fine on my own. Besides, why would a Blight want to help me?"

Without looking up from what she was doing she simply stated: "First of all I have a name, it's Emira and secondly I have nothing better to do and I'm curious about you?"

"What do you mean?" Responded hunter with his own curiosity starting to peak.

"For starters your appearance, the clothes you are wearing make it obvious that you are from a wealthy house and yet I have never seen you before. You seem to be around my age but you're definitely not a student at Hexside. So tell me, who are you?" she said while staring intently at him.

Hunter was taken aback by her sudden bluntness and a bit impressed by her observation skills but he would not let on. "Who says that I am not a servant? Or that I stole these clothes? And what makes you so sure I'm not a student at Hexside? Maybe we've just never met?

"Oh you're definitely from a wealthy house,'' she stated matter of factly. "You could be wearing rags and it would still be obvious. And as you so blatantly pointed out I am a Blight it is our business to know everyone who could be a potential ally or competitor. If you went to Hexside I would know it. Don't worry though I won't pry on who your family is but do you have a name I could call you?"

The boy paused for a moment trying to take in the situation he was in before finally saying " My name is Hunter"

"Well Hunter it's a pleasure to meet you, '' she said as she stretched out her hand. Hunter looked at it before taking it hesitantly remembering her earlier jest on his behalf. "It's a pleasure to meet you too . . . Emira'' he stammered trying not to make eye contact. Emira gave him a mischievous grin before moving closer to him "This feels like the start of a beautiful friendship don't you think?"

Hunter instinctively tried moving away from her. Her gaze was still unsettling to him and although he wouldn't admit it, something about this girl scared him.