Chapter 10

Huntmira: After Chapter 10

“I can’t believe I did that,” he exclaimed as he paced back and forth across Emira’s room. Emira along with Flapjack watched Hunter while sitting on her bed. 

He had been doing this for a while now. The experience with Odalia had rattled him to his core. Not only had he cried in public but as far as he could tell it was completely unprovoked. 

None of them had seen Odalia use any magic. They even looked around but there weren’t any seals or spells on the chair he was setting on that she could have used. At the moment the only thing they could think of that triggered his crying was being hugged by an adult. Maybe if this had been someone else he wouldn’t have minded so much but it was his girlfriend's mom. He felt so embarrassed he just wanted to go hide under a rock. 

Right after the Blight parents had left the room Emira and her siblings had tried comforting him. All three of them were well aware of the type of person their mother was. They wouldn’t put it past her if she had planned for this to happen. Even if they didn’t see her use magic they knew she had to have done something so they didn’t hold it against Hunter for breaking down in front of them. After not finding what trick their mother used they decided to distract Hunter by giving him a tour of Blight manor. 

Edric tried doing over-the-top presentations of each room they went into in an attempt to make Hunter laugh but it didn’t work. He was so out of it he didn’t even notice any of Edric’s theatrics and he had to be pulled along by Emira to each room. Seeing that the tour wasn’t working Emira decided it would be best to take Hunter to her room so that he could process what happened without her family being around. 

“Hey come on it’s not a big deal and look at the bright side my parents really like you,” noted Emira in a reassuring tone in hopes of lifting Hunter’s spirits. “I mean they already acknowledge you as part of the family.

“Yeah but I'm the Golden Guard. I didn’t just embarrass myself but also my uncle. I’m never going to live this down.” he agonized. “They must think I’m such a loser.”

“I’m sure they don’t and even if they did that shouldn’t matter to you. You should be more worried about what I think of you,” she said with a mischievous grin. 

“You think I’m a loser?” he questioned looking away so she couldn’t see his face. Just the thought of that made his heartache. But he couldn’t blame her if she did. After all, he had embarrassed her in front of her family too. 

He heard her get off of her bed and approach him. He braced himself for her response. He was ready for the worst-case scenario which was her breaking up with him. He couldn’t blame her if she did decide to break things off. He had made a complete fool of himself in front of her parents. This was the same as messing up a mission. In the coven that would mean he would get demoted or thrown out. 

He waited for her to say something but instead, she wrapped her arms around him holding him close. She didn’t say anything and just continued to hug him until he returned the hug. As they stood there embracing one another Hunter felt his doubts and insecurities start to melt away. She was right what her parents thought of him didn’t mean anything. And Emira wouldn’t be so cruel to leave him over something like this. 

“Do you think I think you are a loser?” she asked in a whisper as her head rested on his shoulder. 

Hunter considered his answer before replying. “Yes….” As soon as he did he felt her tense up in his arms. Emira lifted her head so that she could see his face. When she did she saw Hunter had on a playful smile. 

“Buuuuut?” she asked knowing where Hunter was going with this. 

“...but you still love me anyway?” he mumbled shyly with his cheeks and ears turning red.

Emira smiled up at him feeling her own cheeks growing warm. “And don’t you forget it,”  she whispered leaning closer to him and kissing his lips.  As soon as she parted from him she felt his lips back on hers. At that moment she realized how long they had been apart and how little time they had been able to spend together since they became an official couple. They still hadn’t even been able to go out on a proper date. Each kiss felt like they were making up for that time they had been apart. The sensation was overwhelming. She was so consumed by the moment that the only thing she could focus on was Hunter. That is until the door to her bedroom swung open. They both became painfully aware that they were in Emira’s home and that her entire family was close by. 

The two quickly parted at the sound of the door. Emira tried to come up with an excuse as to what they were doing so close together expecting to see her mom in the doorway. Then she heard her father’s voice and the fear she had felt turned into annoyance. 

“What the heck dad get out of my room,” she demanded. What was he doing here anyway? It’s not like he cared about what she did. Emira couldn't recall when was the last time she had a meaningful conversation with her father. Or him ever showing any type of interest in her or Edric for that matter. 

“What where you two…” he questioned but noticing how uncomfortableHunter looked and how angry Emira was he decided not to go there. “...never mind anyway the reason I am here is to have a word with Hunter is that okay?” 

“Dad please don’t,” replied Emira feeling frustrated. Whatever her dad had in mind she was sure it would be embarrassing. 

“Um it’s okay don’t worry about it I don’t mind,” noted Hunter. He was sure Alador wanted to talk about rules to follow which Hunter didn’t mind at all. After all, he liked rules. Besides, it can’t be any worse than what happened during dinner. 

Emira looked annoyed but she relented.  “Okay fine but make it quick and don’t be weird,” she said to her dad. 

“Don’t worry this won’t take long,” he replied as he motioned for Hunter to follow. 

Hunter gave Emira a reassuring smile before following Alador and closing the door behind him. The man only walked a few feet from his daughter’s room before abruptly stopping and turning around to face Hunter who almost crashed into him. 

“I will make this quick,” he said looking at Hunter through tired eyes. “I know this might sound odd to you but I would like to make a request.” 

Hunter wasn’t surprised. In fact, he had expected the Blight parents would start asking him for favors after learning he was dating their daughter. It didn’t matter he had already talked to Emira about this. He would not bend the rules for her parents and she understood. He would still be respectful and listen to what they wanted. 

Alador took Hunter’s silence as his cue to continue with his request. “I know I have no right to ask this of you but . . . if something were to happen to Odalia and me please promise me you will look after our children.”

Well, he certainly hadn’t expected that. “What? Are you in danger? Please tell me maybe I can help,” offered Hunter. But Alador shook his head and looked at him with a stern stare. 

“We aren’t in danger… just… if  something were to happen please promise me you will keep them safe.”

“Yes… of course, I will keep them safe regardless of whether or not you and your wife are in the picture,” stated Hunter not understanding what was going on. Emira was his girlfriend after all and he considered Edric and Amity friends. There was no doubt that he would do anything in his power to protect them. 

“Thank you,” replied Alador looking like a huge weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. He then turned around to leave then stopped suddenly once more. “Oh, one more thing keep the door open.” 

“Uhhh…yes sir,” mumbled Hunter feeling his face warm up. 

Alador then walked away without looking back leaving Hunter alone in the hallway. Hunter turned around to go back into Emira’s bedroom when he was hit with the realization that Alador must have seen them making out. 

“If this day keeps going on like this I think I’m going to die from embarrassment.”