7- Marinette, MIA

Ladybug drops through the open roof of the school. She didn't know where Heartbreaker is, so she went back to where it all started. "It's so quiet," She whispers to herself and the kwami floating beside her as she takes careful steps upstairs. She has to be on her guard in case Heartbreaker finds her before she finds him.

"Look, Ladybug." Plagg points a tiny paw to the stairs. The next step they touch turns to stone. "Everything's so dark and gray..."

"It's the effects of Heartbreaker's powers," Ladybug points out as she walks in the classroom. She stares at her classmates, statues now. Guilt gnaws at her heart. "Look at their feet. The dark energy is seeping out, spreading fast, slowly turning Paris to stone. In a few hours, everything will be dead."

"Does that include you, little bug?"

Ladybug spins around and finds Heartbreaker standing in the doorway. Wasn't hard to find him.

He extends his arm out, palm opened. "Hand over the miraculous and I'll spare you. You don't have to die with them."

"Why should I trust you?" She questions. "You're working with Hawk Moth!"

Secretly he wasn't, though. Heartbreaker wasn't going to give Hawk Moth the miraculous. He was going to merge them together and make a wish: a new world for just him and his lady. Just him and Marinette, as it should be. "Don't make this harder than it has to be. Give me the miraculous!"

Ladybug grabs her yo-yo and spins it into a shield. "You'll have to take them by force."

Heartbreaker grins. "No problem, Ladybug." He shoots a blast of power from his hand, and she ducks in time, rolling away. He jumps over a desk and tackles her. They fight close in hand-to-hand combat, throwing and blocking each other's attacks.

Ladybug sweeps her leg under his, knocking him down, and soon gets the advantage. She grabs his arm as he swings to punch her, twisting it behind his back, and throws him across the room. He falls through a cabinet and lays in broken pieces of wood. This isn't Adrien, she reminds herself. This is Heartbreaker. I have to fight him.

Heartbreaker kneels forward, reaching a hand up to wipe blood from the corner of his mouth. He smirks at her. "You know, I like it when you hit me sometimes." He stands up and whips his head back, pushing loose hair back in place. "You're going to have to try harder if you want it to hurt, though." He raises his hand, and another explosion shoots out of his hand.

Ladybug jumps in the air, dodging, but when she lands on her feet, she trips and bumps into a statue—Alya—and it falls over and breaks. "NO!"

"Oops," Heartbreaker mocks, laughing. "Oh, did I forget to mention they're fragile?

Ladybug stares at the gray shattered pieces of her best friend. Would her lucky charm be able to fix this, too?

"Maybe you're not listening, Ladybug! Maybe you don't think I'm serious. If you don't hand over the miraculous, I will harden every heart in this city as I turn it to stone!"

Ladybug turns and glares at Heartbreaker. "You'll have to defeat me first."

He shakes his head. "Not when I have the advantage. You know Marinette Dupain-Cheng, right? Sweet girl, real pretty, too. Would you trade the miraculous for her life?"

Ladybug, now having the real advantage, grins at him. "You'll have to find her first."

Heartbreaker's eyes widen. How could Ladybug know where I hid Marinette? "You're... you're lying!"

"Am I?" She challenges.

Without a second to waste, Heartbreaker blasts a hole in the wall and races back to the Eiffel Tower. He couldn't lose Marinette. He couldn't lose the only person who loves both sides of him. Ladybug chases after him. Heartbreaker lands on the platform and looks around. It's empty. "Marinette!"

Ladybug lands behind him a few seconds later. "I told you she wasn't here."

Heartbreaker spins around and glares at the bug. "Tell me where Marinette is! Now!"

"Give me your akumatized object, Adrien! Let me help you!"

"Help me?" He laughs. "How could you possibly help me?"

Ladybug takes a careful step towards him. "You don't need to hurt people to get what you want!

"And how do you know what I want?"

She takes in a deep breath and frowns. "Let me help you, Adrien. Give me the akumatized object."

"Where did you hide Marinette?" He asks again.

"I'm not hiding her—"

"Liar!" Heartbreaker raises his hand and aims a blast at Ladybug. She rolls away as she dodges it, but as she jumps to swing away, a second blast hits her in the leg, immediately turning it to stone. She falls against the railing, screaming, and lands hard on her back. Her breath catches in her throat as pain shoots through her leg. Heartbreaker stands above her, hand raised. "I didn't want it to come to this, Ladybug."

"A-Adrien," She gasps out, trying to ignore the pain growing. "P-Please—"

"Last chance. Where is Marinette?"

Ladybug doesn't say anything. She stares up at Heartbreaker, panting, and looks for a last-minute solution. She didn't have much time before the rest of her body turned to stone.

Heartbreaker shrugs. "Fine. Don't tell me. I'll find her... after I kill you." His hand glows bright as he steps closer.

"No! Wait, wait! Don't, I'm right here. Spots off!" Ladybug transforms back into Marinette, the pain increasing even more as her protective suit fades away, and she starts crying. "I'm right here..."