Wattpad Original

Author's Note

Hello lovely readers!

First of all, thank-you so much to everyone that finished "The Wrong Path" (!) I'm so grateful for all your support, comments and votes; I literally keep a folder on my laptop of your comments to look at when I need motivation to write!

Secondly, I want to comment on the changes that I made to the edited version of "The Wrong Path." If you're an OG reader, you might recall that the story addressed racism and discrimination against Asian-Canadians. Do I think this is an incredibly important topic? Yes. Do I think there's more room in the publishing industry for stories that discuss these things? Absolutely.

Am I the right person to tell that story?

No; I don't think I am.

I've had a lot of time to reflect on writing diverse characters, and I think that it's important to include a broad range of sexualities, ethnicities, and experiences in a story (especially if it's set in an urban city, where people are from all sorts of backgrounds). But I also don't think it's my place to write about a lived experience that I can never fully understand. Hence, the change in Sophia's story.

For more information on this, I'd highly recommend watching this video from "Read With Cindy," a BookTuber who does a fabulous job (in my opinion) of commenting on white authors writing non-white characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmdcNOBSNo&t=1218s

Sophia's story has altered slightly, but I hope that you all enjoy this version just as much. Sophia and Finn have such a special place in my heart, and I'm so touched at all the love and support for them. So, again: thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

Affectionately,

J.K.

p.s. read on for a sneak peek of Ophelia and Andrew's story...

 read on for a sneak peek of Ophelia and Andrew's story