A good injury

The horse had been nervous since the ferry ride to the island and had been snorting his hooves against the floor of the horsebox the whole way, forcing Pin to drive gently to Bright Field. Marcus, who had come with him, spoke softly to the horse through the small hatch in the cabin.

"He's not calming down..." – Marcus says.

"No wonder, after what he's been through. He doesn't understand what's happening to him and doesn't know where he's being taken." – Pin answered.

Marcus nodded gravely and then turned towards the red to see the gates of the riding school further down the road. It was a fifteen-minute ride at normal speed, but it had taken them twice that. Pin took the opportunity to call her father to make sure everything was ready for their arrival. Ted assured him that everything was in order, whether it was the yard or the stall for Jet, their new arrival.

The horsebox arrived at the stable and Pin parked in the main yard, he saw that everyone had indeed helped to clean it up, but also to get the remaining horses into their own stalls. The young man nodded to the girls to thank them, they responded with smiles and a thumbs up for Becky. Ted approached his son who was already heading towards the back of the horsebox.

We left some hair in the stalls in the yard as you can see, Jet will probably be reassured to see some on the way out. We washed the stall in the back and put a bale of straw and water in it.

It's perfect. It will take time for him to acclimatise to the place but also to the horses and even to us. It's better if there's only one person looking after him now.

Everyone nodded and stepped back to make room for the horsebox to open. Marcus opened the door and helped Pin get the horse out. The horse still looked nervous, so Pin gently put his hand on its neck and stroked it to reassure it. The horse had a bay-coloured coat, the colour of its horsehair was puckered brown. While everyone admired Jet, Jade asked a question:

He's a French Saddlebred ... How did he get here?

"A friend of Elliot's contacted her to see if it was possible to board Jet. From what he told me; it was the owner of his former stable who called him." - Ted replies.

"Why did you ask Dad to bring him here? Dad told me it was because he was retiring but he seems to be rather young..." – Mia asked in turn.

It was Pin who answered instead of his father, he continued to stare at the horse, stroking it gently.

Because he got injured. Jet used to compete in many jumping classes, but he injured his meniscus, forcing him to retire. His former stable is a champion's stable; they don't have the "room" to keep hair that doesn't compete or win anymore.

Everyone could sense the contempt in Pin's voice, and you couldn't blame him. Jet was young, his muscles were visible, his back was straight and strong, he was just beautiful and without this injury a great career as a jumper seemed to be opening for him. Pin then took the long one and tied it to one of the wooden beams so that he could eat from the bale of straw the girls had left there. He spoke again as he examined it.

Normally, this kind of injury does not happen at his age, he is young and almost at the peak of his pure power. It was caused by the negligence of his rider. The stable sent us his training and competition schedule... He did not give him enough time to rest and recover, training jumping and cross-country.

Pin moved his hand to his injured knee, but Jet moved his leg and whinnied, he didn't want anyone near his injured limb. A safety reflex. Pin accepted his refusal and stepped back to get back into Jet's line of sight.