oh, Vicky! (you're so fine, where art thou?) - part 1

When I told my cousin that 'yes, of course I'd do anything for you', I did not expect her to actually take it literally.

You know how people say things like 'I'd jump off a building just to avoid this assignment'? And they say it to express a point but don't ACTUALLY mean it? Yeah, that's what I meant for my cousin.

The girl is a couple months younger than me and more naive and optimistic than I am, so of course I feel very protective of her.

I forgot that she could be pretty manipulative when she wants to be. In a good way. In a slay way. I support her in her manipulative ways. I mean, if you had a cute pout and dimple like hers? You'd be crazy not to exploit that to your advantage.

Or maybe, she's not manipulative. Maybe I just love my cousin too much to say no to her.

Right now, though I am definitely not loving her. The complete opposite, actually.

"I thought you were going to ask me to watch your audition?" I ask my cousin incredulously. "I don't remember you saying anything about ME, auditioning."

She's so lucky she's absolutely adorable because I was ready to unleash my wrath right here and right then.

To her credit, my cousin is very good at acting. Hence, the reason why she's part of the theatre club. She's the cutest theatre kid I've ever come across, because theatre kids are kind of annoying, no offense to them. I mean, they're nice people but sometimes they're just a little bit... much to be around. Or maybe I'm just very introverted.

Then again, my best friend, Gaeul, is quite the extravert, always talking my ear off about whatever. Sometimes she gets annoying, too, but I love her!

The innocent look on my cousin's face is almost convincing. Her eyebrows furrowed and her head is slightly tilted to the side, kind of like a puppy.

"Oh? I thought I mentioned it?" My cousin's nose flares slightly. A telltale sign that she's lying. I only know this because I grew up with her. I like to say that it's her imaginary pinocchio nose growing.

"Must have slipped your mind." I tell her, a smile on my face but I can tell by her slight twinkle in her eye that she could tell that I knew exactly what she's done.

"Come on, Wonyoung." My cousin pleads, her lip protruding in the cutest pout. "You don't even have to audition for a big role, just the ensemble."

"You know I'm busy." I sigh. I would actually be alright with joining if I didn't have so many things to do this year. It's my junior year and I have to start cracking down on all of my subjects. I'm taking so many AP subjects this year, I'm the co-captain of the robotics club and on top of all that I've started a new part time job, my first ever part time job, at a frozen yogurt place.

"Kim Jiwon?" The play co-ordinator's voice breaks our conversation.

"Coming, Sojung-nim!" My cousin says.

"Oh, Liz!" Sojung-nim chuckles. "I don't recognise you as your real name."

My cousin made up a stage name that she insisted everybody called her. Something about channeling her inner actress. Like I said. She is so lucky she's cute. And related to me.

"It's okay, Miss Exy." Liz teases, addressing their play co-ordinator with her own stage name.

No wonder Liz was the president of the drama club even though she was only a junior. Everyone loved that girl, including their play co-ordinator.

"Wish me luck, Vicky!" Liz flashes me a bright smile.

That's MY stage name, apparently. As if I'm going to need one.