Chapter 3

May 15, 1965

The flower shop was located in the eastern waterfront of the city -- a sector known for trade and commerce. Often, sailors could be found negotiating the costs of silks and spices. Returning from successful adventures at sea, their pockets were full of mora* and they had their eyes set on reselling valuable goods in far away lands. The occasional bar disrupted the line of trade storefronts. Sailors had money to spend and the barkeeps and shopkeepers were more than willing to lighten the sailors' pockets.

As we approached the flower shop, our senses were greeted with a visual rainbow of mercantiles in a full spectrum of color and the rich scent of rare spice wafted into our noses. The waterfront was the type of place that made you feel like you were at the center of the world. Like all the stores on the trade row, the facade of the flower shop was a canvas for a panoply of wares the shopkeeper was selling. It was early summer and the shop appeared to be in full bloom

We entered the shop and the entire environment seemed to be teaming with life. So full of greenery was the shop that the air took on the fresh quality of a sylvan rainforest. "Oh! I didn't hear you come in," a voice said behind me and Tubbo. We whirled around to find a 6-foot man behind us. He had fluffy dark brown hair and, shockingly, beautiful white eyes. In his hair was a woven assortment of flowers -- each a different color. He wore the garish costume that defined the privileged class of our city. His clothes hung meticulously on his frame, as if they were an animated mannequin. A ravishing white blouse adorned in beads and lace complimented his dark salmon skirt. A dark brown leather corset topped completed his nearly absurd outfit.

He smiled and spoke with a warm and resonant voice, "Hello children, how may I help you on this fine morning?" I replied with the humble tone of respect that the moment warranted, "My name is Yevette and this is my brother, Tubbo. We've come to your beautiful and infamous establishment with a very specific request. We've been told that yours is the most refined and complete resource for all flora of the world." It was noticeable that the shopkeeper's chest swelled with pride. He responded, "You've been given true and reliable information. You've entered a biological wonderland of plantlife. So tell me, what is it exactly that you seek?"

Tubbo almost interrupted the end of the shopkeeper's question before it was punctuated, awkwardly blurting, "Silk Flowers!" In an instant the door on the other side of the room opened. A woman with long, pink hair stepped out.

"Our last supply of silk flowers ended up lost in the mail. Eret here was supposed to pick them up." We looked at the man, Eret, before turning around to the women again. Only now did I notice a name card on her blouse. 'Niki' it read. There was something in the tone of her response that made me feel she didn't quite believe what she was telling us. Her kind, almost maternal demeanor belied an uncurrent of mystery in her spirit. Like her business partner, Niki wore the outfit of a woman who wanted for nothing. Her perfume was more grand and exotic than the collective sensual symphony of the shop's blooms. When she walked, the silks of her outfit seemed to slow like a cloud caught in the tide of the jetstream. Her blouse was as white as a cumulus cloud on a spring morning. Her leather pants grounded her frame like the staunch trunk of an oak tree. This gave Niki a rather intimidating but breathtaking air of confidence.

Almost distracted by Niki's grace, I spoke, "What do you mean, 'Lost in the mail'?" Niki sighed, focusing her gaze on me.

"It's strange really," she replied, sitting on a stool behind the counter. "The mailman came to the shop and told us our flowers were gone. To say I was shocked would be an understatement, but there's not much we can do about it. In a decade of business, we've only lost one other shipment... and that was due to an extreme weather event."

Tubbo looked confused. "Something wrong bud?" I asked. Tubbo shook his head. "It's just, Dad said that shipments going missing isn't common here in Liyue. But it happens right? So what's the big deal?"

Eret laughed, "Well, Silk flowers are rare these days. Not many people use them. So losing a shipment of around a hundred is pretty bad."

"I'd humbly disagree, Eret," Niki interrupted. "I, too, am suspicious about this shipment. I wouldn't have given it a second thought with one exception: You two are the THIRD visitors to our store in the past 24 hours to inquire about silk flowers. It would be odd for us to have that many requests in a two-week period."

Tubbo looked puzzled and -- at the same time -- genuinely concerned. Before he could speak, Nikki finished her thought, "But interestingly, you're the first children to ask about the silk flowers!"

The air in the room seemed to instantly get thick with unease. Tubbo started to bite his tongue -- a true giveaway to his discomfort. I did my best to keep my cool.

"Listen, Niki. Is there anything you could tell us about silk flowers? Like, where do they come from? Or why are they so important?" I asked.

"Well, I'd be insincere if I said I didn't have a theory. This silk flower thing is just one of several odd happenings I've observed from "my perch" here on the waterfront," Niki mused. "People in the trade spectrum have been acting jumpy for the past couple of weeks. Our shipment isn't the first to get lost... or diverted."

"DIVERTED?" Eret queried with a brusk tone of disbelief.

"Yes... diverted. The word on the waterfront is that there are many suspicious materials, mercantiles and flora that have 'gone missing'. The missing items seem to have no correlation, but I have a theory." Niki stated with a proud confidence.

"There have been rumours that they were all taken by the same person... or things. Maybe a group of people. I mean, why else would anyone steal cloth, silk flowers, as well as suits and dresses?"

Tubbo clumsily attempted to join the conversation, "Are they opening a costume shop and nursery?"

With only a slight air of condescension, Niki replied, "You're close, but you're not thinking it through to its rational conclusion. What event in Liyue Harbor has had everyone abuzz for the past six months? And... When did the first mercantile shipment go missing? You answer those two questions and -- as they say -- you've cracked the nut."

"But, there is no 'event' in Liyue." Tubbo said, wringing his hands.

"True. But.. The shipments into Liyue serve the entire world," I replied. "Mondstadt! The 1500-year celebration of the cathedral!" Niki nodded. "They celebrate every ten years. It would make sense. Especially since every century they bring out the Holy Lyre. Oh..." I realized what Niki had been talking about.

Niki caught eyes with me and I could tell that we were sharing the same realization. Whoever was behind the missing shipments was linked to the Holy Lyre. Maybe they wanted it... It did belong to a god. It's a powerful artifact.

"Well, Thank you for your time. We appreciate it. But we need to get going." I said, grabbing Tubbo's hand. "Bye!"

We walked out the door, my mind whirling with this new information.

-------------------

*Genshin Impacts Currency :)