Part 9: Not Quite Home Sweet Home

Warnings: Angst, Language, Injury, Allusion to Abuse, Misunderstandings, Tension

*************************

*Reader's POV*

You woke up the next morning to the cries of both twins, your head pounding with the headache after the harsh cry and strain of the day before. Even with the babies crying in the same room as you, you had to take a moment to wake up and reorient yourself, to figure out where you were.

You sat up in a large, queen bed, the sheets and comforter new since your bed in your apartment had been smaller, but the blankets thrown over the top were yours. You looked around at the room, a gleaming sheen of new pearl white walls giving the room an open and clean feeling, the furniture in the room the same that had been in your bedroom back home–even some of your decorations, down to throw pillows and blankets and pictures both personal and of things you were interested in were placed neatly and decoratively on top or within the furniture. Your books were in the same order as they'd been back home in the same bookshelf. When you shifted to get out of the bed, a charcoal grey carpet brought the airiness of the room back to a more grounded feel, the darker colored carpet warm and soft on your bare feet. Behind you, heavy dark grey curtains had been keeping the sun from waking you up earlier than you were ready, pulled closed over the window. And on the wall opposite where your bed was...

That was where the crying was coming from. There, the cribs you'd bought for the twins were sitting perfectly assembled and undamaged, and it was where the crying was coming from. The twins' space took up the other side of the room, though it wasn't cramped. There was the cribs, which you'd gotten at Walmart because it was a four-in-one crib and changing station, which when they outgrew cribs could be turned into a toddler bed, daybed, and then a full sized bed. Over in the corner was a toybox, a small bookcase with baby books and a few stuffed animals, and a soft looking rocking chair.

The entire room was a disorienting mixture of strange and familiar. It had some of your stuff in it, but it was also clearly not your bedroom, and set up by a stranger. You didn't know what to make of it.

A particularly loud cry from one of the twins made you wince, and you pushed any concerns about observing your surroundings aside for the time being, walking over to the cribs to pick up the twins one at a time and see what they wanted.

While they were tossed aside in all the fuss, you also saw that the babies had their respective baby blankets with them in the cribs, though neither of them cared about the blankets at the moment.

You started with Asa since he was closer to the side of the bed you'd rolled off, checking him over to make sure he wasn't cold, changing his diaper after discovering it was dirty, then temporarily putting him back in the crib to see if Ida had similar needs. Once you were done checking over their cleanliness and comfort, you carefully picked them both up and brought them over to the soft rocking chair to sit down and feed them both.

You knew Levi had said no breastfeeding because it supposedly hurt you somehow, but you hadn't had the chance to start pumping milk yet, and the twins were still getting used to latching on, feeding on a schedule, and feeding in general. It was far too early to be switching them to a bottle, in your opinion. Let them adjust to eating with you before you tried switching them to a bottle–still breastmilk, but not straight from the source, apparently.

While you waited for the twins to have their fill, your gaze went around the room, still feeling uneasy about waking up in a strange place. You hadn't walked up here yourself, you remembered as much, which meant that Levi had to have been the one to get you upstairs and into bed, and had to have been the one to put the twins down for bed.