Chapter 41

Eadu has no seasons—Circe spends the next week or so shrouded in the same rain and dark skies that greeted her when she first landed—but on Coruscant, summer is waning into the beginnings of fall

When Anakin steps onto the ship that is going to take him across the stars, once again in search of his best friend, his other half, there is a sharp bite to the wind that makes him shiver. It's been a long, warm season that seemed to stretch it's claws into time, dragging the good weather out for as long as possible.

Anakin and Circe had relished in the sun of the summer, lounging on their days off and disappearing to the small river that runs behind the Temple, only a twenty-minute walk away. Anakin would leave early in the morning and bring back food from the markets, passing Jorgan fruit and fresh plums to Circe as they sat on the sun-warmed rocks by the water.

Those days seem so long ago. Anakin can barely remember what it had felt like to feel so free. To be unburdened by his vision. He remembers Circe, and her black eyes sparkling with laughter, the taste of honeycomb on bread, the feeling of the sun hitting his shoulders. But he does not remember the peace he had in those moments.

Now, nearly all of the leaves have changed from bright green to a deep amber. A chill follows him onto the ship, and Anakin sits, solemn faced, as the doors slide closed, and the ship takes off.

Obi-Wan sits beside him, instructing the pilot to get out of the atmosphere and hold position until further instruction. He is nervous. It took longer than he had hoped for the Council to release Anakin into his custody, and Circe could be far by now.

He hasn't slept since they brought Anakin back. Fatigue clings to his body, but he knows he has to be strong. He must bare strength for both him and Anakin, if they are going to be successful in their mission.

"You have to reach out to her," He says, turning to face his old student. "We don't have much time, and the Council is anxious to bring you back."

"So they can lock me up again."

Obi-Wan does not waste time on pleasantries. "Yes. So they can lock you up again."

The words don't wound Anakin. They're more of a statement, than an attack. He knows what he's done. He knows the Council will never let him forget.

"I don't know why you think this will work, Master," Anakin says, sitting back against the wall. "If what you said is true, then it was Circe that called me to her, not the other way around. I did nothing."

"Enough. It had just as much to do with you as it did her."

"How is that possible!? I came to her because she called me. She doesn't want to be found this time."

Obi-Wan places a hand on his shoulder. "Anakin, she always wants to be found. She is always calling to you, whether she consciously wants to or not. You don't know, because of the promise you made to each other. To keep out of each other's thoughts—each other's minds." He shakes his head. "There is so much you don't know. So much that you have hidden from each other."