- o n e s h o t -

"Tell me, why I'm doing this again?"

The orange haired lad grinned at his bestfriend's question. "Oh come on Kaneki! I know you can do this! This is as easy as a pie, man!"

He pointed his index finger at a certain [h/c] who's silently sitting on one of the benches of the campus, her attention focused on the game console she was holding in her hands. "There she is! This is your chance to proclaim your undying love for her!"

Kaneki couldn't help but blush deep red from ear to ear, his eyes trailed down to his hands that were tightly holding a white rose accompanied with a heart-shaped box of chocolates. He turned to Hide who was hiding behind his back, "I.. I think this is a bad idea.."

"Bad ideas are always the best." Hide encouraged, gently pushing Kaneki towards the girl's direction, "Now hurry up and do your thing. Ask her out."

The young man let himself get pushed by his best friend, but his shyness struck once again when he realized that they were getting nearer, so he quickly forced himself to stop on his tracks and turn back to his friend, "I don't think I can do this,"

"Seriously?" Hide gave him a mixed look of disbelief and displease. "It's Valentines, Kaneki, we could only celebrate this once a year. And in fact, the chances of you gaining courage to profess your love to [Name] the next time you have an opportunity is incredibly thin. Knowing you, you're very shy at situations like this."

Kaneki glanced at the object of his affections, then to the stuffs he was holding, then back to her. "B-But.."

Truthfully, Kaneki and [Name] have known each other ever since middle school. No, they weren't friends nor enemies, they just simply know each other. They exchange greetings and smiles every time they bump into each other.

[Name] is a clumsy yet cheerful girl. She maybe an average college student but she has a unique way to make anyone, even the saddest person on earth, smile in this own bizarre ways of hers.

Yes, she's just simple. And that simplicity of hers made the silent and reserved Kaneki Ken fall head over heels for her.

Said boy let out an abrupt chuckle and pushed the stuffs he was holding to Hide's chest, "Why don't you just give it to her instead and tell her it's from me hehe,"

Hide held Kaneki's gifts firmly in his hands whilst staring down at it. He sighed and looked up to meet his best friend's gray orbs. "You like her right?"

Kaneki didn't respond, he was hanging his head low to cover his embarrassment and flushed cheeks.

"More specifically, you love her." Hide stated, smirking before pushing the items back to Kaneki's arm, "Hold this for me."

"Huh?" Swear to Kami, Kaneki did not like the smirk that was plastered on his friend's face, he knows too well that Hide is again, plotting something that will cause an extreme embarrassment.

Especially now that he's walking back towards him.

With a familiar [h/c] haired girl following behind him.

Yes, of course. Especially now that [Name] is here.

Shit.

"[Name]-chan!" He mumbled, his eyes were growing wider at the sight of his long time crush walking towards him, together with his best friend that is totally gonna face death later on.

The two stopped in front of him, his heart beats rapidly as he stared at [Name]'s [e/c] orbs that was intensely staring back at his. His eyes trailed down from her eyes, nose and then lips.

And Kaneki being a normal teenager he is, undergoes raging hormones too.

He resisted the urge to jump on her and kiss her [l/c] lips gently. But that was a very rude thing to do and him being a gentleman as ever, controlled himself from doing that.

But then he asked himself, why can I see this face of hers this close?

Then realization hit him.

He jumped when he realized that their faces were just inches away from each other's. How did [Name] do that Kaneki doesn't know. "[N-Name]-chan?" he asked, his face turning deep red from it's original pale color.

"Hide said you were going to tell me something." She said, curiosity evident in her [e/c] eyes. "What is it?"

Ignoring Kaneki's deadly glare, Hide chuckled deeply before averting his gaze towards another direction. "Oh look at those white thighs! I'll be back, guys. I have to touch those thighs--HEY MISS WAIT!" he said, running off to that direction.

"O-Oi, Hide! Wait!" Kaneki yelled, trying to bring his idiot of a best friend back and cut off this awkward atmosphere between him and the girl of his dreams. As cheesy it sounds, it's the truth.

[Last Name] [First Name] is the girl of Kaneki Ken's dreams.

"So.. what was it that you've been wanting to tell me?" She asked, grinning slightly.

The raven haired male brought his attention back to the girl standing on front of him. 'Say something Kaneki, Say something!' He mentally cheered himself, "Uhm I.. uh.. I've been wanting t-to tell you t-that.. y-you... You look good in that shirt of yours!"

Wow. 'Now she thinks I'm lame.'

"Oh." [Name] said in a rather disappointed manner but in a flash, her saddened look was replaced with a devious smirk. "Is that why you're bringing my favorite flower with you and a box of chocolates with my name written on it?"

Kaneki's eyes widened and quickly hid the gifts behind his back, his timidity striking again.

He shot his eyes closed and opened it again after calming himself down, "[N-Name]-chan, I..I l-like you." He said as he lovingly stared at [Name]'s rather surprised eyes. She gave him a sheepish smile, enough to give him butterflies in his stomach and so is confidence.

"E-Ever since middle school..t-the first time I saw you, y-you immediately s-stole my heart. A-And as time pass by, I-I realized t-that I've f-fallen d-deeply in love.. w-with you."

Now his face is redder than the color red itself. He mastered the courage to say his next words, "S-So.. D-Do.. Do you want to consider g-going out with.. m-me?"

[Name] didn't say anything. She just continued on staring at his eyes which made him feel uneasy. Is she going to say yes? Or issue going to turn him down? Kaneki doesn't know. But her next action immediately answered his question.

He felt a pair of soft lips crashing against his.

She immediately pulled back, her cheeks tinted pink, "Truthfully, I'm not good with words.. so, I'll just show you how I really feel."

She grabbed his arm and a pen inside her bag. She jotted down her phone number and brought it back to him. "Just text me when.". She grinned and took the gifts from his hands, "I'll be taking these. See you later, Kaneki-kun!"

He stood there frozen, the events that happened slowly sinking in his mind. Then he grinned, caressing his lips. He swear, he could still feel her soft lips against his.

He would never forget this day. But first, he needs to find Hide and let him feel his wrath.

Before thanking him, of course.

******

This is inspired by a story I read in deviant art entitled, "Courage". I forgot the author's name though, but I give credits to you!

Hope 'ya enjoyed this shitty story of mine though. Reviews are highly appreciated.

-The Self-Proclaimed Basketball Genius. Wut.