Chapter-7

Rat in the Castle

It was the day after the students had returned from the Christmas holiday and the Great Hall was filled to capacity for the evening meal. The students and staff were chatting about what their holiday when the sound of thunder was heard and the shock of it felt through the castle. The only problem with this was; one, it wasn't' storming outside. Two, the thunder came from the lower levels of the castle.

"Headmaster." Snape said.

"Prefects, do not let anyone out of the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall, you, and the staff to your right stay here with the students. The rest of you come with me." Professor Dumbledore announced.

Before they reached the main doors an auror barged in. He was bleeding from the top of his head and his robes were now rags. "He's here. Harry Potter is in the dungeons." The auror announced before collapsing on the floor.

Professor Snape ran from the hall, wand drawn and ready to confront his former pupil. He had long hoped to have to deal with Potter, now he could not wait to deal with him. So intent was he that Snape didn't hear Dumbledore calling for him to stop.

~~**~~ ~~**~~ ~~**~~

"Where is Peter Pettigrew?" Harry Potter yelled at the auror he was clutching by his collar. When the man failed to answer Harry tossed him aside and check on the other men that were in the room. Harry had managed to infiltrate the caste utilizing a secret passage long thought to be blocked off. Truth be told it was blocked until Harry rectified that situation. Then, utilizing Rita Skeeter's information, Harry found his way into the dungeon where Peter Pettigrew was. He stood momentarily unnoticed as he decided how best to handle this situation. As he looked at the prisoner though he made a very astute observation. The person in the dungeon was not Peter Pettigrew. Harry cursed as he realized that it was an auror using Poly Juice.

The explosion that rocked the castle was in fact the result of the aurors' trying to curse Harry. While he didn't have his crystals deployed, the seven aurors (either Rita had lied to him or they'd upped their security since she last saw the measures) all tried to curse Harry at one time. Unfortunately for them all seven of their wands mysteriously blew up in their hands. The seven aurors' lay strung about on the ground. Some missing their wand hands.

When the aurors couldn't answer his questions Harry departed for another part of the dungeon.

"I know you're here somewhere Peter. I will find you." Harry yelled. His voice echoing through the corridor.

~~**~~ ~~**~~ ~~**~~

"Where is he?" Harry yelled aloud. Sensing someone approaching Harry motioned with his hand and eight crystals leapt from their storage pouch and assumed a defensive position around him.

"Finite Incantatum." Snape yelled. The spell stopped at the barrier created by the crystals. He hadn't expected the spell to work, but thought it was worth a try.

"Serpensotia." Snape called out. A large snake appeared from the wand and landed on the ground in front of Harry.

Harry simply looked at the reptile, then, utilizing his gift acquired from Lord Voldermort, told the snake to go away.

Reaching into his robes Snape grasped, drew, and tossed a vial at Harry. The vial stopped in mid air between two of the crystals. Harry then set the vial down on the ground. Raising his arm to Snape, Harry pointed a clenched fist at the man, then motioned like he was swatting a fly and watched as Severus Snape flew through the air and landed at the feet of Albus Dumbledore and several of the other teachers.