Chapter 9

Y/N hated eggs. It seemed a ridiculous thing to think after the honeycomb game but it was true. She made herself eat it anyway, trying not to gag.

Their team was one of the first through the line for food but there wasn't as much talk between them as there had been yesterday. Y/N found herself staring at the remainder of the line, looking but not truly seeing, as she went over the honeycomb game again. Sang-Woo was right, of course, that she'd chosen to ally with him because he was a strong player and certainly, there was more value in the partnership to her. She weighed the idea of turning from him but it wasn't as simple as good and bad. Clearly, he could figure things out quickly, he could make hard and fast decisions without blinking. Y/N couldn't give up that advantage, however small it was. She didn't have to like him or agree with him to have him as a partner.

But that wasn't simple either because she didn't dislike him. Every time she looked at him for longer than a moment, she thought of him standing before her in a wet suit, the look in his eyes somewhere between irritation and relief. She thought of the weight of his hand on her waist, his fingers curling in the collar of her tracksuit, the strange expression on his face when her honeycomb cracked.

If she didn't know any better, she might think she liked him. She might think she desired him.

Y/N blinked and the scene came into view. The guards ran out of food, leaving a group of players hungry. Player 198 revealed that some players came back for seconds. Of course, that group was led by 101 and 212. Y/N watched in horror as the situation continually grew worse, resulting in a fight between 101 and player 271, one of those who hadn't received any food.

"He'll kill him," she realized as 101 decked 271 and proceeded to kick him. Everyone in the room collectively held their breath as each blow landed. Eventually 271 stopped reacting to the barrage of kicks and 101 walked away. "And no one is going to do anything?"

Gi-Hun pushed himself up at her words and approached the man on the floor with Sang-Woo. Sang-Woo bent to check his pulse and Y/N stood with Ali, anxious to hear the answer she knew was coming. Sang-Woo shook his head. "He's dead," he said.

"And no one is going to do anything?" Y/N repeated, this time louder. Normally levelheaded, she wasn't sure why this was the thing that broke her resolve. All she knew was a familiar outrage. She pointed at 101, whose gaze snagged on her. "He just killed a man!"

Gi-Hun approached the guards blindly. "This isn't right!" he said. "Can't you hear me? We shouldn't be killing each other like this!"

"Player 271 eliminated," rang out over the PA system. Y/N was shaking her head as Sang-Woo and Gi-Hun returned to the group. They were just going to allow the players to kill each other now? Were there no rules?

"I thought these games were supposed to be fair!" she called. Sang-Woo was tugging her wrist, trying to make her sit back down, whispering at her to be quiet. Eventually, she gave in as 212 cackled and mimicked slicing her throat.

To his credit, Sang-Woo said nothing, though she could tell he was tense with agitation. Once she cooled down enough to really think, Y/N realized she and Gi-Hun might just have put a target on their backs by sharing their outrage. She thought about 198, who spoke out about the stealing. 067, the girl who 101 pummeled on the first day.

They were still clustered as a group around a single bunk some time later. Y/N kept her gaze on 101, who was speaking with his men.

"We can't fall asleep tonight," said Gi-Hun. "Anything might happen after lights out."

"Agreed," said Sang-Woo. "We have to stick together and fight."

"Let's create a meeting point," she said. Gi-Hun volunteered his bunk. He carefully explained the plan to 001 and Sang-Woo told Ali to come over to this side after lights out.

It killed her to admit it but Sang-Woo had a point. The group all had different strengths but none of them in fighting. Ali was likely the strongest member of the group. Sang-Woo might be next. Then her. Gi-Hun was quick but 001 was a major concern. Maybe they should have met at his bunk. At least they had a team. She thought about the players at risk without one.

"What about 067?" she asked. Sang-Woo shook his head like she was a child asking to bring home another pet. "101 was fighting her the first day."

"I thought the same," said Gi-Hun. "I'll tell her."

When everyone returned to their own bunks, Y/N could not shake the idea that 212 was staring at her and Sang-Woo. More than once, Y/N started to say something before catching herself. 212 was sitting in her bunk, adjacent to them, pretending to be doing anything other than eavesdropping. Y/N was getting antsy as the time ticked down. She and Sang-Woo should create their own plan, just in case 212 had any crazy ideas. But how to say anything without her listening?

"Meet me in the bathroom," Y/N said impulsively. Sang-Woo raised his brows and 212 sat up straight. She'd heard the rumors of people hooking up in the bathrooms too, particularly 212 and 101. But it was an easy cover and it seemed the desperate action of a girl about to die.

Sang-Woo didn't question it. In fact, he followed close behind her, close enough to feel the heat of his chest against her back. Once inside the bathroom, Y/N checked the stalls to ensure they were alone before speaking.

"You and I should be prepared for an assault," she said, leaning against the tiled wall.

"You should be," he said. She'd known he thought speaking out was impulsive.

"Yes, I should be. Will you help me?"

He didn't respond with anything petty, about wondering if she still wanted to work together or that she was foolish. Instead he said, "I've already been thinking."

"Me too. Do you trust me?" It was a test and it felt wrong to put him to it but he'd been playing games with her from the start. For once, she wanted to be the one in control.

He met her eyes and she saw him consider it. "Yes," he said and it didn't sound like a lie.

"Then let me tell you my plan."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you comfortable with that?" she asked.

He nodded. "If you are."

The door to the bathroom swung open, revealing 212 and 101. Y/N tugged Sang-Woo towards her, thinking the safest option was to pretend they were there for the same reason as each other. 212's bunk was close enough to see. She would know if they were truly planning something.

Sang-Woo braced himself against the wall, hand gripping the tile above Y/N's head. For a second, Y/N wondered if this might be it, if 101 and 212 would take them here and now. She pretended not to see them, letting her fingers hover at Sang-Woo's temple, barely brushing against a lock of his hair. His eyes fluttered shut and Y/N exhaled a breath that almost sounded like a groan.

Fuck, she thought.

212 wrapped her arms around 101 from behind. "He seems cold," she said, her grin evident in her voice. The hand at Y/N's side clenched into a fist. "He looks like he'll be hard work to crack."

Y/N smiled and it was a grin she saved for easy marks. "I can be patient."

"Hopefully not too patient," said 212, laughing. Y/N rested her hand against Sang-Woo's jaw, feeling him clench his teeth, before trailing her fingers down to his wrist. She felt 212's gaze and hoped she saw another woman just like her--hedging her bets with a stronger fighter. She raised her eyes to his and it was easy, too easy.

"She has a point," she said and tugged at his hand, trying to get them out of the bathroom without incident. 101 did not look impressed by anything, including 212's ministrations, but he let them leave. Blood was rushing in Y/N's ears by the time they reached their bunks. Perhaps, they made it out of that situation but she couldn't predict what would happen when the lights finally went out.

A/N: I feel like I crunched the timeline here but so be it!