Chapter Forty-Four: Saying Goodbye

~ Becca's POV ~

As he handed me the envelope, I couldn't bring myself to open it yet. I silently went inside. I could still smell the scent on it. I knew who it was from. But was I prepared for what was inside? Was this going to hurt? I know I won't know until I open it but I'm not ready to hurt again so soon.

Liam and Theo brought in all the stuff from the truck. They cleaned out the truck as best as possible. We were going to wash everything and then decide if we felt we needed to keep our emergency stuff packed in the truck.

In a couple days Liam would leave us, he was going to head back home and see about getting into college classes like he wanted. That pup is going to do amazing things.

As I sat on the couch I fidgeted with the envelope.

"You alright?" Liam asked me.

I nodded.

"Afraid to open it?" He questioned.

Again, I nodded.

Theo sat by my side and put his arm around me.

"I'm right here, open it when you are ready."

"Thank you." I said softly.

"I'm going to go take a shower." Liam blurted out.

"You know where the towels are, you practically live here." Theo stated.

Liam walked off to the bedroom and we could hear the water start running.

We both knew he did this to give us privacy.

I took a deep breath and exhaled.

"I'm ready."

I felt his hand grip my shoulder.

"Do you want me to give you some privacy?"

My hand found his knee and I gripped it slightly.

"Please don't go. Please stay with me."

"Always."

I began opening the envelope and I took out the letter that was inside.

Dearest Becca,

First, I'd like to apologize for being a coward and disappearing before you arrived. I don't often admit when I care for people so this is quite hard for me. I know this isn't goodbye forever, I logically know that we will meet again, but saying goodbye is just hard. I have seen both you and Theo open your hearts and learn to let people in. I still struggle with this myself.

What I'm trying to get at is this, I care about you Becca. I agree with Derek that you have become family. We protect family. I had Derek program my number into your phone so you may contact me any time you'd like. Even if it's just to check in. I wasn't the best father to Malia, I wasn't the best uncle to Derek, but I'm going to do my best to not to let you down.

I promise I'll look after them for you, especially the angry pup and Derek. You will always have a home with us. Just because the war is over doesn't mean that we're going to disappear on you. Minus me disappearing this last time. If I had to face you, I don't think I could have left. I guess I've become one of your guard dogs now too.

If you ever need anything, anything at all, just let me know. You tell that boy of yours to treat you right or he'll have to deal with me. Please stay safe, this world doesn't have enough people like you in it. You've changed all of our lives for the better, thank you for that.

Goodbye for now,

Peter.

~ Theo's POV ~

I sat here quietly as Becca read her letter, she let me read this with her, and I could feel it when she began to cry. While I still held it against him for almost getting her killed, I knew she cared about him. She couldn't help it. Once she let people in it was hard for her to let that go.

She really hated that everyone had to leave. Don't get me wrong I knew she was happy at the idea that we'd get time alone without a cloud of doom lingering over our heads but she'd miss them too.

She laid down the letter and curled against me. I held her close and kissed the top of her head.

"It will all be okay baby." I whispered.

"I know, it's still sad though."

"Would you rather we move closer to everyone? If that is what you'd like to do, we can do it. No hesitation, no arguments, we'll do it."

"Maybe someday, but for now I just want to be with my husband." She said softly.

"That sounds perfect to me."

When Liam came back out, he sat in the chair across from us and we all just sat around talking.

"I have an idea, if you both are up for it." Bec said.

"What's your idea baby?"

"Yeah, I'm up for anything!" Liam said excitedly.

"Well, Liam is a big part of this family now, I was thinking that maybe we could build a guest house outside, so he has his own place when he visits, that way he doesn't have to sleep on the couch or the floor anymore."

You could see the excitement in Liam's eyes. He looked like he was ready to explode with happiness.

"REALLY?" He yelled.

"Yes silly." She said calmly.

"I think it's a great idea." I stated.

"You know I could stay a little longer and we could start building right away!"

"Only if we get you a computer so you can do your online courses that way." I demanded.

"Deal!"

I shook my head and laughed.

She turned herself in my arms and looked at me.

"What's so funny mister?"

"You two are adorable."

She just smiled.

"You know, this means when anyone comes to visit, they have a place to stay." I pointed out.

"Hopefully it means they'll come by more often!" She said excitedly.

"Also means you two can get all naughty with each other and we don't have to listen to it." Liam said as he started cracking up so bad, he fell off his chair.

I picked up one of the throw pillows from the couch and threw it at him, which just made him laugh even harder.

"Maybe we just buy him his own house in town." I suggested.

"No... No... I'm... sorry!" He stuttered between laughs.

Bec shook her head at us and had to stifle a laugh.

"I'm going to go make dinner, see if you can get him to breathe." I told her.

"Liam! Hug please!"

I could hear him take a deep breath as he was trying to calm down. He got up off the floor and went over to hug her. Pretty sure he'd stay with us forever if we asked. Those two were bonded now. When it came to people, she loved most in this world it went me, then Liam, then Derek.

To be loved by her was the most intoxicating feeling ever. It was rare for her to love so if she let you in that meant you were truly something special in her eyes. I will forever be grateful that this incredible woman chose to love me. Somehow, I became the luckiest man alive.