8

I push through the door of the diner exactly three and a half minutes late due to the fact my train was delayed, and I then had to run to get here in half the time. I'm out of breath, lungs on fire and sweating like crazy, not just from exertion, but that damn flu has overtaken with a vengeance. My emotional state is fragile to say the least and I am running on empty.

I can't stop sneezing, my nose is pouring and I have a throat like razor blades, walking around with that awful cotton wool head. On top of that I have a killer headache from my face and I just feel like death warmed up.

I got maybe an hour and forty minutes of sleep before my alarm went off and I had to drag my sorry arse back up. Judging by the still hot, half-drunk takeaway coffee sat on my counter, Mico and Alexi must have left not long before I woke.

It was a surreal feeling to get up to an organised room and new shiny locks and bolts on every possible avenue into the apartment. I must have passed out pretty quickly too. I woke up to my bedroom door sitting open with its own shiny lock inside and the room around me a little less chaotic. Someone had even fixed my bedclothes and pulled an extra blanket from my chair to place over the ones I had over me in the frosty room. I am guessing Mico. Although something in my gut reminded me of the times Alexi did that exact thing in the club apartment and I brush it aside.

I hate him and he hates me.

That's the end of that story!

I had to leave my spare uniform to soak in the sink this morning as I forgot to do it last night, and then got pissed when I opened my front door to find an undeniable Carrero security guard sat on a chair outside; black-suited and booted and reading a newspaper as though this was a normal daily occurrence.

I almost had an epic rage-fuelled meltdown that he left me a bloody bouncer to watch over me. Typical god damn Alexi! Although, he did have fresh coffee and hot croissants for me, and offered me a lift to work, which I refused. I sent him packing back to his kingpin and told him that if he bothers me with his henchmen again, I will just move and change my name.

I hope he gets the message. I don't need this today.

Pressuring me and reminding me of what it's like to be back in the fold of Carrero. I'm not an idiot. I know what he's doing.

'You're late!!' Joe is on my arse as soon as he gets a whiff of my appearance through the door and then gawps in horror when he catches sight of me.

Way to boost my confidence!

'What the fuck? You can't work looking like that! You look horrendous!' He rages at me, eyes bulging out of his veiny forehead. As though getting roughed up is somehow my fault and I curb the urge to promptly stick my fingers up at him.

'Doesn't stop Lorraine coming in every day,' I answer tartly and get a snarl from her in the corner as she wipes down a table. I throw her a catty wink and give zero shits that she's offended. I know the bitch hates on me at every opportunity and there is no love lost between us. I pick up her slack constantly.

'Funny! Get your ass over here. You can work in the kitchen with me instead and Lacey can serve. I am not having you on the floor looking that shit.'

Lacey being his wife who spends most of her time filing her nails while sat on her arse in the office, so I don't see that happening. The kitchen is about the size of a postage stamp so if he has ideas of a cosy afternoon stuck in Sweats Ville with him, he has another thing coming. It's a retro diner in the smallest space ever and his kitchen constantly stinks of Joe's sweat and fried foods.

No thank you!

'A sore face doesn't mean I am incapable of carrying trays. Get over it; I'll chuck some concealer on. It looks worse than it is.' I sigh and throw my hands on my hips in a bid to stand my ground. I may not feel the part today but I won't let him push me around. I had enough of that from Alexi. He has certainly woken Camilla up for sure, and she is rearing a tired head.