17.

"You have a beard," noted Meredith as they walked up the gangplank, hand-in hand.

Derek ran a hand over his face and frowned a little. "I guess I do."

"It's painful to kiss you with that," she said, scrunching her nose up. Derek smiled, he always found it insanely adorable when she scrunched her nose like that.

"I'll shave it as soon as we get to a hotel."

"Where are we going to find this hotel exactly?"

"Have faith," he told her.

Meredith pouted, curling into his side as they walked through the small airport in Tucson. Compared to the airports in and around New York City, the airport was tiny. The couple easily made it to the baggage claim area within less than five minutes.

"What hotel could you suggest in the area?" Derek asked the woman at the travel desk. "We don't have a reservation anywhere."

"I would recommend La Paloma. It's not the fanciest but, it has beautiful grounds, classic Tucson architecture, and amazing accommodations," she said. "But that's just my personal opinion."

Derek and Meredith turned to each other, nodding simultaneously. "Sounds perfect," said Derek.

"Alright. Would you like me to call and see about a reservation for you?"

"That would be great," he answered. The travel agent picked up the phone, dialing the number.

"Hi," Meredith smiled, looking up at him.

"Hi," he replied. leaning down to kiss her lips lightly.

"Ouch."

"What?"

"Your beard. If you plan on getting any tonight, you better rectify that," she said quietly.

"We'll stop at a drug store on the way to the hotel," Derek assured her.

"Good."

"Sorry to interrupt," said the travel agent. "I just need to know how long you intend to stay."

"Ten days?" asked Derek.

"Sounds good," she responded.

"Ten days," he told the agent confidently.

"And, I just need a last name and your credit card."

Derek gave the rest of the information to her before turning back to Meredith.

"I'm hungry," she said.

"We can stop for some food."

"Good."

"Alright," said the travel agent. "You have a room with one king-sized bed booked for ten days. It was the last one available. Apparently there's some big conference there."

"Perfect," Meredith smiled.

"Is that all you'll be needing?"

"Where can we rent a car?" asked Derek.

"Walk all the way down there," she pointed down the terminal. "Then follow the signs for the car rentals."

"Thank you," said Meredith, taking her... Derek's hand and walking down the directed path.

XXX

Derek drove towards the main driveway of the hotel, slowing to a stop. "We're here," he announced happily.

"I can see that," smiled Meredith as a valet opened her door. She climbed out, Derek following right behind her. He handed the keys to the valet who handed him back a slip to claim the car. Taking Meredith's hand, Derek began to walk towards the hotel lobby.

"This place is beautiful," she gushed, crossing the threshold into he lobby.

"It is."

They quickly checked in to their room, collecting the key card as well as a map of the vast grounds. "Would you like me to arrange for someone to take you over to your room in a golf cart? It's a bit of a ways out from here."

"That'd be nice," said Meredith.

"Just wait outside and someone will be there for you within a few minutes."

Meredith slipped her hand into the crook of Derek's arm, walking beside him out to the golf cart that they found already waiting for them. They slid in, gave the driver their room number and snuggled together in the back. Neither were prepared for the weather, not thinking that at night even the desert got chilly.

"This feels like a dream," admitted Derek.

"What?"

"After... what happened. I never thought I'd be this happy again. So, I'm still scared that I'll wake up and be in my bed, alone at the trailer," he sighed. Meredith reached over to his arm pinching the skin tightly. "Ouch! What was that for?"

"I pinched you, you're not dreaming. You're wide awake," she assured him. "I'm here with you and I always will be."

Derek grinned at her and kissed the top of her head, the only place he could kiss without her complaining about his scratchy beard. "I love you, Mer."

"Love you too."

They sat silently for the rest of the short ride out to their room, enjoying the scenic view. When the cart pulled up to their room, Derek tipped the man and helped Meredith out of the cart. Approaching the door of their room, he pulled out the key, slipped it into the lock and opened the door.

"Wow," sighed Meredith, walking ahead of Derek into the room.

"Wow is right."

"I love this room!"

"Good," he said huskily, closing the door. "Because you'll be seeing a lot of it." Derek advanced towards her, capturing her small frame in his slightly muscled arms. Their lips interlocked, tongues exploring the depths of the other's mouths desperately.

"Beard," she moaned. Derek let go of her, walking into the bathroom with the razor they'd bought at the drug store.

Meredith perched awkwardly on the end of the bed, waiting for Derek. She wasn't quite sure what to do while she waited. Instead of figuring it out she opted to just sit and wait. It donned on her them. She was about to have sex with her... Derek. The title 'boyfriend' sounded juvenile and wrong seeing as they were married for fifteen years, ten of them happy. So, she decided Derek couldn't really be her boyfriend. He was just her... Derek.

A few minutes later Derek stepped out of the bathroom with a cleanly shaven face. He walked towards Meredith who stood up, meeting him in the middle of the room. Their lips met frantically, hands roaming their partner's body. Clothes were quickly torn off, sent flying around the room as they stumbled towards the plush white bed. Derek laid Meredith gently on the bed, completely naked before quickly running back to grab the box of condoms from their shopping bag.

Meredith scooted up towards the pillows, momentarily curling into herself. "Uh..." she sounded nervously.

"What's wrong?" asked Derek, concerned, climbing onto the bed next to her and enveloping her in his warm embrace.

"It's been five years since we've uh... had sex. And, I know neither of us were... celibate..."

"Yeah," he muttered, not wanting to think about anyone touching his Meredith.

"I'm just saying uh..." Meredith diverted her eyes to her feet, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

"Mer?"

"STDs... or I...uh"

"Mer, I promise, I'm clean. We're all clear," he assured her, kissing her forehead lightly. "You had every right ask."

"Okay," she whispered, looking up at him.

"Of course."

"Let's do this," she giggled, pressing her lips against his ferociously.