Prolugue

I held onto the roan tightly, the tips of my feet beating against the other beneath her stomach. The beat of her hooves and the smell of her was enough to calm my unsteady heart. I choked on the nervousness on my throat and laid my head on her soft neck. I closed my eyes and listened to the hollow sound the hard dirt made as the bottom of her hooves slammed against it.

"There he is!" One man yelled, he must be a general. His scottish accent heavy and his voice deep. I glanced behind me and the man who yelled had two other men behind him. They all rode on white horses in stainless steel armor that covered their faces and hurt my eyes when the sun gleamed against it. Despite the fresh and safe smell of morning this certainly was not a safe nor calm morning. I looked around, desperately trying to find an escape. All I could see was the unruly tree branches reaching towards the Gods as if they pleaded for an escape. Rocks with moss crawling up their sides set a path for a cliff not too far away from here. About a couple miles or so, but it was approaching fast.

What if we jumped and landed at the bottom. What was down there? A soft green and blue mesh of water and algae might be down there. But what if I were wrong? Maybe there are jagged rocks with points as sharp as knives waiting for us to send me and the roan to our doom. What about the men. Do they know what is down there? Please, Gods, aid your son.