Chapter 46

"We will not be needing you any longer," the king said, his arms crossed and Victoria clinging to his side. "You have caused us far too much trouble as it is."

Victoria smirked. "And you are no proper lady."

Sergon stood next to them, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword, his gentle smile nowhere to be seen.

"We have been told you have conspired with your siblings to attack us."

Ciara's eyes widened and she immediately opened her mouth to deny it. No sound made it out, however, no matter how much she screamed and tried. She was mute.

"There is no use denying it," the king said when she began wildly shaking her head. "Alex and Elias told us everything, and Elias has confirmed it on his mission."

She kept shaking her head so fast her hair flew around and whipped her in the face, even if she felt no pain from it.

What was happening? Where was all this coming from?

She tried screaming again, but she still made no sound despite her efforts.

"It seems you have nothing to say in your own defense." A disdainful look colored the king's face. "You are no longer welcome here."

"And neither is your beast," an older voice spoke behind her.

She turned around at the chillingly familiar shriek of terror behind her. The sight before her made her blood run cold and her sight blur with tears.

Arthas stood before a gigantic wagon on which Kaisog lay, bound so tightly in iron chains they gnawed through his scales and into the soft skin underneath. His crimson blood pooled on the ground, evidence of his fierce struggle against the constriction.

The way he laid completely still, gasping for air and the awkward angle of his wing, she saw just how broken they were. Not just the broken bones, but also the skin between had been completely torn up by the metal. Even if he ever got out of there, he'd never fly again.

"Say your goodbyes, girl," Arthas harshly spoke, turning to face the whimpering dragon, spear raised over his head.

She set into a dead-sprint, praying to all the gods out there. A sudden firm pull by her arm made her stumble and fall to the ground in surprise.

A heavy foot pressed down on her back, pushing her into the ground. She found, to her horror, that it was Alex who'd tripped her.

Her attention was brought away from his cold glare when a terrifying scream flew from Kaisog's mouth. Her head and gaze whipped up just in time to see Arthas drive the spear deep into the dragon's neck.

She watched, sick to her stomach, as blood spurted up and colored Arthas' already red armor even more crimson. The gurgling sound of Kaisog struggling to breathe made bile rise in her throat.

Arthas roughly pulled the blade out, fighting the resistance in the flesh as though it was nothing. He flicked the worst of the blood off, then turned to look at her, leaving the twitching dragon to suffer in his last moments. She didn't even feel the tears streaming down her cheeks.

He took slow, measured steps towards her, where she lay pinned to the ground.

"One down..." He came to a stop right in front of her. His eyes never left hers, and neither did hers his. She watched in terrified surrender as the spear was poised perfectly between her eyes.

Her world exploded when the blade was thrust forward, her sight going black.

Ciara sat up with a jolt, her eyes flying open and her heart beating to the rhythm of a galloping horse. She whirled around, trying to figure out just where she was, her breath hitching in her throat and her skin damp with sweat. That was when she realized just where she was and what'd happened.

It was just a night-terror and she was safely sleeping in the king's chambers. Her gaze jolted to the left of her, on the bed.

He wasn't there.

She knew it was still in the middle of the night - the castle was far too silent. Surely, even someone like him slept at this hour of the night.

A groaning and turning made her eyes flick to the other end of the room. Gingerly, she stepped off the bed on weak legs, which hadn't quite left the terror yet. She tip-toed as close as she dared, her eyes gradually getting used to the dark.

It was the king! He was sleeping on the sofa - which was certainly soft, but still not made for sleeping on. Not to mention he didn't fit on it at all.

Was this the reason why the bed was cold every morning?

She needed some fresh air. She went to the big wardrobe and picked the warmest robe she could find, folding it around herself. She carefully opened the door to the balcony and went outside, breathing in the crisp, almost winter air.

Her hands trembled still when she reached up to dry the wetness she felt on her cheeks. It might not have been real, but...

She crouched and leaned her forehead against the cold marble of the railing, not bothering to stop herself. There was no one here, and even if there were, they couldn't see her.

She heard rustling, and then felt a warm breath fanning over her back. She knew who it was before Kaisog even began nuzzling her hair.

"You could not sleep either?" She slowly tipped her head up to meet his glowing eyes.

He snorted and then nuzzled her again. His warmth was really comforting on top of everything, it reassured her everything really was only a dream. He was healthy and fine.

She sighed, running trembling hands over his scales.

"Am I really nothing but a hindrance here, Kaisog?" she asked him softly. "I have split his castle in two and now I have even stolen his bed. Maybe I really am not worth the trouble, just as those two Dragon Slayers said the other day."

Kaisog snarled, giving her a rough nudge as though to wake her up. He gave her a hard look that told her everything he thought.

"I know you do not think so, but what about the king?" She glanced in the direction she knew him to be sleeping in. "I have made so many things difficult for him already."

She could hardly even count the amount of times she'd been scolded for something she'd done or just gotten that annoyed look.

When she sighed deeply again, Kaisog leaned in a little closer, whimpering for her.

She smiled, hugging him close. "I know, I know..." She pulled away slightly. "Would you mind if I came down to you?"

She was awarded with a happy squeal as he lay his head a little flatter. She deftly climbed onto his snout and remained still as he brought her down to the ground, pushing her close to his body under his wing, where she quickly made herself comfortable.