Chapter 3

Summary:

Scorpius shook his head back and forth slightly, "You have a perplexing sense of adventure."

London, England - Present

Rose stepped in front of the door before Scorpius could grab the handle to leave.

He let his hand fall to his side before rocking on the back of his heels, "You're welcome to join us if that's what you're after."

Rose shook her head in disbelief. Scorpius had always been aloof, but when had he gotten so cavalier?

"Brilliant. Let's just ruin my next marriage before it's begun shall we?"

Scorpius seemed to smirk at a thought he didn't share out loud before putting his hands in his pockets.

"How long do you think you can keep this to yourself? What? You think because they've already covered this story once they'll find a second round of it a bore? He's going to find out eventually."

"It won't be in the press." She asserted confidently. "Lily caught the error. She's the one who brought it to me in the first place. She'll sort it." She noticed his smirk melt away at the mention of her cousin, "We both know she can keep a secret."

Scorpius squinted again at Rose and seemed to stand a bit straighter. His mannerism unsettled her, but she wasn't sure why. She thought it would have comforted her, after all it was more familiar than the laid-back posture he started with. Then it came to her; his posture was a perfect match for his father. In fact, between his neatly trimmed beard, empty expression, and shorter hair she realized how much resemblance there really was between the two of them.

"Does Creevey even know you've come here today?"

Rose retreated her eyes to the floor once again. Then, deciding she had nothing to be ashamed of she crossed her arms over her chest again and looked up at Scorpius with pursed lips.

"Can I get your signature or not? I'd like to get home before the seasons change."

"Oh home is it?" The blonde took his hands from his pockets, absent-mindedly repeating her gesture and crossing his arms over his own chest, "Odd choice of words since I'd wager your parents don't even know you're in London."

Right when Rose was sure she was going to hex her ex-husband into the next room the door opened behind her and she jumped half-way across the room. Scorpius didn't even bother hiding his laughter.

"All right Lotte? You've given our Rose a fright..."

Charlotte pressed a hand to her heart earnestly, the door still wide open behind her.

"I'm so sorry Rose. I didn't know you'd be visiting."

After composing herself and tucking a loose strand of hair back into her bun, Rose opened her arms and gave her cousin-in-law a warm hug. "I didn't give any warning, I wasn't meant to be here long."

That's when Charlotte realized Scorpius was the one who had addressed her before. She looked between the pair of them with a puzzled expression Rose accepted she'd have to get used to.

"I've interrupted something haven't I?"

"Nonsense Lotte, Rose and I have been over for a long time now."

And as if that had explained the situation, he gave Charlotte a sideways hug and then headed out the door.

"Tell that husband of yours to meet me at the Dragon yeh?" He let the door close behind him as he sauntered down the front steps and out onto the street.