Even Angels Fall

Matteo eases onto his shoulder, so he's at my side on the bed

Matteo eases onto his shoulder, so he's at my side on the bed. And then somehow, he's pulled me on top of him, quicker than a blink. My heart's beating so fast it's like a wild animal caged by my ribs, rattling my bones to escape.

"Sit up so I can see you, Evangeline."

I comply, and his hands cup my breasts, the silver moonlight splashing on my bare flesh. I'm straddling him, and I wonder if he can feel me shaking. "How can you see me if it's dark?" I murmur as I scoop my hair up, trying desperately to get air on the fever-hot skin of my neck.

"I happen to have excellent eyesight." His statement is benign but the way he says it, all low and rough, makes it sound like the filthiest sentence in the world. He's pinching my nipples between his thumb and forefinger, hard enough to make me wet. Hard enough to make me squirm. Hard enough to want him even more.

Of course he can see perfectly in the dark. He's a vampire. I also have pretty good sight, but probably not like he does.

I roll my hips, so I grind against the hardness in his pants. He lets out another low, menacing growl, only this time, it seems like it's not coming from a person, but a... thing.

He reaches up and puts his hand around the back of my neck, pulling me down toward him, against his mouth. His kisses are downright intoxicating. They're punctuated with little moments of intensity, like when he stops and presses his forehead into mine, his eyes closed, as if he's trying to gather his strength. He does this while holding my hip with one hand, moving my body against his in the most delicious, dirty way.

For a creature that's not human, he's surprisingly passionate. It's a mind-fuck, knowing that he doesn't harbor the same emotions as a human, and yet I almost feel the need and desire pouring from him. Maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings?

I whimper at the sudden realization that he's not like me, not exactly, well, not even a little. He's not even similar Kerri, who's learned to feed by stealing donations from the blood bank where she works. She claims she's become more evolved over the years, that female vampires have more self-control. I guess I'll find out soon enough if that's true.

Matteo kills people by drinking their blood, and that's what's going to happen to me tonight. A flash of indecision washes over me. Should I want this? Do I want this? My life is pretty wonderful right now. I'll relinquish my human existence for what, exactly?

Immortality?

Power?

The ability to help others for eternity?

Yes this is what I want, to fulfill not only my desire, but reverse a horrific legacy started by my ancestors.

But I won't know how I'll feel as a vampire until it happens, and it's too late to turn back now...

"I liked being under you better," I purr, the ache in me surging. If only he'd strip me naked, touch me everywhere, bewitch my body with his touch.