Chapter One

"You can't be serious, Father!"

"You are the second born, Celeste." He slammed his thick fist on the as his voice boomed throughout the room. "Its your duty to marry into another kingdom. You know that."

I shook my head and gathered the ends of my dress as I spun away from him and stomped toward the door. "You can't force me to do this!"

"I am your father and your king. You will obey me."

I could hear the smirk behind those words; he knew I had no more to say on the matter. My eyes narrowed into slits, and I turned and walked back towards him, standing tall.

"I might not have a say in your regard, but I am in the right to decide on who and who I will not love in my own heart."

He scoffed. "You don't even know what love is, girl."

I quickly halted mere inches from him. "-And whose fault would that be?" I spat back, venom lacing every truthful word. Determined to hold the ferocity in my expression,

I turned on my heel and stormed out.

"Princess?" Maid Emma asked, clearly scampering along after me.

I didn't respond, just kept walking toward, my room.

Once I made it to my room, I slammed it behind me and took long, hurried strides across the room to my bed. I threw myself onto it, caring little to ruining the perfectly laid blanket resting upon it, and sprawled about, sniffling into my pillows grasped in my trembling hands.

When a knock on the door cut through my sobs, I quieted, my racing heart strong in my ears. I didn't respond, but the door opened anyway.

"Celeste?" My brothers voice came from the doorway.

"I don't want to go to a different kingdom, Mave," I said through my tears, barely lifting my face from the dampened pillow. "Why'd I have to be second born?" I gripped my pillow with my well-tended nails into the fabric. Pressing my face into the soft velvet, I screamed into my pillow, unable to contain my rage.

His footsteps grew louder, and I felt his weight on the edge of my bed. "I know."

I inhaled a deep breath and released it slowly, attempting to calm myself as I sat up. "This is my home, not the kingdom of Alastia. I don't want to live there, and I don't want to marry Prince Senya! I want nothing to do with that horrific family and their terrible deeds!"

Mave placed his hand on mine. "You can't believe every piece of gossip that crosses your ears, Celeste. Maybe they aren't as bad as rumoured."

"Maybe they are worse! I do not want to marry him!" The thought of being a wife to the prince sent a shiver through my body. I refuse to show him any kind of mercy or romantic partnership, whatsoever.

He sighed. "I'm afraid Father is correct. You do not have a choice. It's the duty of the king's children to succeed our kingdom, Cele."

"You're the next king can't you reverse it?"

"Don't be ridiculous. You know making such a bold change to our kingdom's rules would never be accepted. It is carved too deeply, in the foundation of our people." He ran his hand through his pitch black hair. "Besides I can't change anything until I'm wed, and am crowned king, and you are set to leave to Alastia tomorrow. I can't very well marry princess Vera tonight." He playfully leaned into me, nudging my shoulder.

"I suppose not." I slid off the edge of my bed and approached the window on the far wall, holding my hand out to touch the beam of waning sunlight filtering through the open drapes. I placed my hands on the windowsill and leaned forward as my eyes drifted along the courtyard below where I had spent countless hours running and playing as a young girl. Now as a young woman, it was my favorite spot to read in the early evening hours when few walk the paths and enjoyed all the colors of the flowerbeds. "Do you love her?" I blurted out, my gaze still on the courtyard gardens.