Twenty-Eight

‘Today we’re going to have a talk from our official patron, Mr. Tse the Math teacher.’ Steve announced and started clapping his hands.

None of the club members in the classroom were particularly excited with the guest, but they similarly clapped because of Steve. They saw Mr. Tse all the time, so seeing him in the room wasn’t something particularly special.

‘Hi guys,’ Mr. Tse said as he stood up from the chair he was sitting on next to the teacher’s desk. ‘I just wanted to let you kids know that this club is special despite how “nerdy” it may seem to your fellow students.’

‘This is gonna be so boring,’ Evelyn rubbed her temples.

‘Well I’ve seen a lot of transformations from this club, and that’s what makes it really amazing. It not only has a physical and mental impact, it also has an impact on souls.’ the man continued. ‘Well I’ve seen many transformations from this club and I think everyone is being helped, but I’ve never seen a transformation quite like Ava’s.’

Most of the student’s eyes consequently landed on Ava momentarily before they looked back to the front. Ava looked down at the desk to avoid their gazes.

‘I think Ava has changed quite radically, and I can’t say this without giving a special thank you to Jiaqi. I think as a counsellor he’s doing such a good job. And it’s so strange because none of us expected that.’ he smiled at Jiaqi, who slightly smiled.

It was great news but quite awkward at the same time, seeing that now Ava and Jiaqi would not really be allowed to speak.

‘So you should keep up the good work…’ Mr. Tse started.

‘Actually, I’m no longer her counsellor.’ Jiaqi interrupted him. ‘I think my work is done.’

Ava looked at Jiaqi for a short second with a sad look, then looked away again. As much as she had to accept what had happened and whatever her father was demanding, it still hurt a little more when it was confirmed.

‘Oh I see,’ Mr. Tse said in realization. ‘Well you did a good job so far. And I think you’re a great example to all counsellors out there, just as much as Ava is the perfect example of a student who can change if they put their mind to it. But on the other hand, the pair of Chengxin and Evelyn hasn’t yielded much benefit.’

Chengxin who was slumped in his chair slightly sat up. ‘Oh no,’ he muttered to himself.

‘Evelyn still gets in trouble unlike her sister,’ Mr. Tse continued.

‘Well it’s not my fault that Chengxin doesn’t even meet me!’ Evelyn defended herself.

‘Sir that’s so not true.’ Chengxin folded his arms. ‘She’s just hard to handle.’

‘Oh really!?’ Evelyn put her hands on her waist defiantly.

‘Okay, okay. I don’t know whose fault it is but just know that you can borrow a leaf from Jiaqi and Ava.’

The meeting continued for a few more minutes before it was finally dismissed. Chengxin was one of the most bored members in the meeting, and he left almost immediately after Mr. Tse.

‘Oh I really have to go!’ Evelyn got up, swinging her shoulder bag over her shoulder. ‘Sarah was waiting for me, she’s such a sweetheart.’ she rushed out of the classroom.

More members continued to leave, and Ava looked over at Jiaqi who had just got up from his seat and was getting ready to leave. She walked over to him slowly and looked up at him.

He looked at her with confusion. ‘Didn’t you say your sister is watching us?’

‘Yeah but she’s going to the airport to take pictures or something.’ Ava answered.

‘Oh, fine.’ he answered and the two started to walk towards the door together.

‘I never really asked if you’re over what happened. The whole thing to do with Janine.’ she spoke sadly. ‘And why haven’t you told the principal yet?’

‘I decided not to. And I’m fine, really. It’s in the past now.’ he assured her. ‘I guess I’m no longer mad. I’m not even mad at Janine.’

‘Janine? You spoke to Janine?’ they were now in the hallway walking towards the exit of the school.

‘Yeah. She came in town for Yaowen’s birthday.’

‘Oh,’ Ava answered bitterly, a bit of jealousy rising within her. But she surely knew Jiaqi wouldn’t like her back, well mostly she hoped son. She didn’t know what Jiaqi’s type was after all.

‘So, do you have any idea why your dad hates me so much?’ Jiaqi changed the subject.

‘No,’ Ava shook her head. ‘It’s so weird because I have no idea. He seemed to like you until he heard your...name. What could that mean?’

‘Specifically surname,’ Jiaqi added. ‘Hmm, you think he has a conflict with my parents?’

‘I guess that’s a possibility…though I don’t know if that makes perfect sense.’ Ava answered as they exited the school building.

Jiaqi walked towards his bike and pulled it along with him, then met Ava again so they could walk together. ‘Anyway, listen to your dad. I don’t want you to get in trouble because of me.’

‘Yeah I know.’ she replied.

‘You do know this may be the last time for us to really talk face to face right?’ Jiaqi asked her. ‘So if there’s anything you want to tell me that’s important, you should say it now.’

‘What do you mean!?’ Ava nearly panicked.

Jiaqi took a deep breath. ‘Well don’t get me wrong but Janine had a crush on me and I didn’t know, and it led her to doing something that she shouldn’t have. All because of something as silly as a crush. But it seems I have a hard time understanding when someone likes me.’

Ava started to blush and feel uncomfortable. ‘I…well...’

‘Since that time you said you had a crush on me but you didn’t really tell me if you still have that crush…’

‘Just stop talking.’ Ava cut him.

‘Alright, alright.’ Jiaqi chuckled. ‘Now I don’t know if that means I’m making things awkward because you don’t like me or the fact that I’m making you shy.’

Ava glared at him.

‘Fine I’ll just stop.’ he concluded with a chuckle. As the two of them walked, they started to talk about different topics. They laughed at Chengxin and Evelyn’s altercation during the meeting, then both of them told stories of their funny experiences in the classroom.

They both enjoyed themselves until they were finally at the oak tree.

‘I guess I gotta go now…’ Jiaqi said and started to get on his bike.

‘Wait!’ Ava suddenly said. ‘I think you were right, it will be hard for us to find other opportunities to talk with Evelyn around. So I guess…I guess I should tell you that I actually still like you.’

Jiaqi turned to her and smiled. ‘I was kind of hoping you did. Because I like you too.’

‘You do?’ Ava said in disbelief.

Jiaqi nodded then walked closer to her, pulling his bike along. ‘Yeah. I think when you’re understood, you’re actually a really cool person.’

Ava looked down on the ground shyly, having never been in such a situation before.

‘Anyway, since this may be our last time being physically this close…’ he didn’t seem to have finished his sentence. Instead, he leaned in and pecked her on her lips.

Ava looked at him with widened eyes, still surprised by what he had just done.

‘Have a nice evening…’ he finally said, stepping away from her and getting on his bike. He rode away, leaving Ava still surprised.

She took a deep breath. She still didn’t believe what had just happened.